Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2010, 04:29 AM   #1 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Feeding - bloodworms

I don't get it!? Why do you feed your bettas so little? 3 - 4 pellets a day? They must be very thin.

I have been feeding (old enough: 1 - 2 months old) bettas exclusively on frozen bloodworms soaked in water. I feed them twice a day as much as they would eat. To condition weaker ones I feed them mosquito larva and daphnia excessively so they can eat when ever they want.

Bloated? Yes their bellies become very fat after feeding and they have thick bodies. But I wouldn't say they're bloated. The only problem I have is that some fully grown females are difficult to be embraced properly by males during spawning. But other than that, I have had no problems concerning feeding.

On the other hand if for some reason I fail to feed them for one day, many will become sick, weak, etc. some would even die. So again, I don't understand why you suggest at least one day without feeding.

I would change my feeding habits if I'm certain that it's better for my fish.

Out of topic ...... This is embarrassing; how do you up load pictures. I want to show you pictures of my fat fish. The "insert image" asks for a URL (what ever that is) without any other option so I can't go to my computer.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:21 PM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Attachment 13933

Attachment 13934

1. 2 month old female
2. 1 month old bunch

Last edited by indjo; 08-08-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #3 
beta novice

no thats horrible there stomachs are only as big as there eyes and thats the right amount to feed them your not supposed to feed them just blood worms they will bloat and die and it will be your fault
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #4 
Adastra

Many breeders feed their fry a high protein diet of about as much as they can eat. This is not unusual--these fish are growing quickly and need a lot of protein to fully develop. Adult bettas on this diet would likely become obese and shouldn't be on something so fattening constantly. Also keep in mind that fry that are housed together in a large tank use up more energy than adult bettas in smaller tanks do.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Thanks for the replies.

.... its not that I don't believe you guys its just that I haven't had any problems for over ten years of betta keeping since I used frozen bloodworms. And many of them live up to 2 years. The worse killer is weather (I don't use heaters).

Live tubifex worms tend to some how ruin the fin's bone structure of adult bettas. So since frozen bloodworms were available, I fed my bettas that.
I've tried pellets about two years ago (bloodworms suddenly wasn't available), they wouldn't even come near it.

I'm sure you guys have a very good reason for your views. So I have reduced feeding amount (for adults) but I can't intentionally fast them. And I will try pellets again.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:55 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Thanks for the replies.

.... its not that I don't believe you guys its just that I haven't had any problems for over ten years of betta keeping since I used frozen bloodworms. And many of them live up to 2 years. The worse killer is weather (I don't use heaters).

Live tubifex worms tend to some how ruin the fin's bone structure of adult bettas. So since frozen bloodworms were available, I fed my bettas that.
I've tried pellets about two years ago (bloodworms suddenly wasn't available), they wouldn't even come near it.

I'm sure you guys have a very good reason for your views. So I have reduced feeding amount (for adults) but I can't intentionally fast them. And I will try pellets again.
The normal life expectancy for a betta is 3-5 years with excellent care.

Frozen foods are much better than pellets, live is even better than frozen. I know breeders who ONLY feed live and frozen foods. As long as their is a variety there shouldn't be a problem. Pellets aren't a necessity by any means. As long as the fish get a variety of foods rich in protein and nutrients there is no problem.

There are times when I fast my fish and times when I do not. I have never had issues with my fish bloating if I did not fast them. I feed my fish 3 pellets at a meal which is much bigger than their eye and they don't have stomach issues.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #7 
vilmarisv

This is what I DONT understand...
I hear that frozen foods are so much better than freeze dried but I was looking for "high protein" to feed my fish and went straight to the frozen food section (of the pet store LOL) and read the label (I'm a label reader) and the protein content in the frozen bloodworms was min 30% whereas the freeze dried blood worms was min 50%.
Sooooo... should I disregard the labels and feed frozen bloodworms? Or stick with the freeze dried?
My LPS has NO female guppies for me to breed and feed the fry to my bettas. Ugh!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:14 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

Freeze dried foods are devoid of nutrients and they will expand significantly once they get saturated in water. They are fine as a once in a while treat but aren't as nutritious as frozen.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:08 AM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I guess that's my problem; I tend to take nutritional values for granted. I don't know their value. All I know is that mosquito larva is the best live food (I don't know why). But they pose high heath risk to my family (dengue fever .... sorry for spelling).

Though many feed daphnia, my bettas tend to ignore them. SO frozen bloodworms are the only available alternative and it's safe. If I keep on feeding them frozen bloodworms, what amount is recommended?
Old 06-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #10 
1fish2fish

Frozen blood worms are great. I feed my adults 2 per meal (if the worms are large).