Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #1 
haruko

Sudden Illness

Hi guys, I'm new here. I was reading the forums because I woke up to my Betta, Rayo, being very sick and you all seemed very knowledgeable so if you have any ideas in how to help him, please reply.

This morning, I woke up and he was laying on the bottom of his new tank (got him a 10gal about a week ago) breathing very hard and his back is changing to this sickly almost bone white color, I took some pics:

As you can see, his back, closer to his tail, has changed color

Thing is, He was fine just yesterday, swimming around all happily and stuff but this morning....I just don't know. Please help me.

His new tank is a 10gal, he has a filter and heater as well as plants and a log thingy in the middle. There are two black mystery snails in there with him as well.

I used this BettaFix stuff in the water just before getting on the net, it says it's the all problem cure...

Anyway, sorry for my long post but I'm sort of freaking out. Thank you for your time.
haruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #2 
haruko

So I think he's getting worse...he's now wedged himself under the log thing and is laying sideways under the side of the log...I turned off the light because I think he wants shade.....I'm really worried...
Old 06-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. If you used the BettaFix then he could be having a reaction to it. BettaFix is kind of contraversial. Some say it's bad for bettas and others say it's ok. I had a betta who had a bad reaction to it. He went to the bottom and just laid there but he got better when I changed his water.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:13 PM   #4 
sjones

I would put him in fresh conditioned water for the time being that's the same temp as his tank, and see if that clears it up and also see what more experienced people than me on here say.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:16 PM   #5 
sjones

If you only got the tank a week ago it is not cycled and that may be causing the problem, (It takes a month usually to cycle form what I've herad) I would get him out of that tank asap, use a water conditioner to remove the chlorine from fresh tap water (same temp as tank)
DO you have a test kit for your tank and if so what are the ammonia reading etc?
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #6 
Maryrox247

The problem is that your tank is not properly cycled.All tanks 5 gallons and over MUST undergo a process called cycling. During the time a tank is being cycled nitrites,nitrates,and ammonia gradually rise and fall. (this is called new tank syndrome) To cycle your tank there are two ways. fish in and fishless. I always do a fish in cycle. (my local fish store manager even recomends it.) The way you do a fish in cycle is simply set up the tank and add starter fish. I did this with my 20 gal. BUT i did not add my bettas during this process instead i added 1 platy (a sturdy and gentle fish) and 3 harlequin rasbora tetras. (again a sturdy and gentle fish) I waited one month and got my water tested. Once the ammonia was EXTREMELY LOW (i think it was at zero) and nitrates and nitritrites were also extremely low or at zero ( i can't remember) i actually added bettas. So i would suggest taking him out and putting him into a temporary 1 gallon tank and buying a platy or two or a few neons or rasboras and having them in the tank to get it cycled. By the way they will be just fine with your betta when you add him and though many people say tetras are fin nippers never once have i hadd a problem with them being with my bettas. Good luck!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:24 AM   #7 
haruko

ty guys, Rayo seems to be doing much better now...im kinda a nub w/ tanks and stuff ^_^