Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2010, 12:56 AM   #1 
mjbn

Heaters and Filters!

Has anyone ever tried the Tetra: Whisper Internal Filter 1-3 gallons for their betta? (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Whis...ct+Information) Any pros/cons? If i shouldn't get it, what's a good filter under $20?

and any recommendations on any heaters below $30? I'm looking at a Hydor theo heater for 24.99 (http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753018) and a Marineland heater for 21.99 (http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3792732)

IF not those, which ones would you guys recommend?
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:08 AM   #2 
Adastra

I have tried the internal filter, and I did not find it to be a good match for a betta. It basically takes in water through a sponge and spits it out through a powerful jet which tends to knock bettas around in the water because of their long flowing fins. This would be more suitable for smaller fish without a lot of finnage. Also, any debris that you were hoping this filter would suck up simply get stuck to the outside of the sponge, so when you take the filter out to clean it or turn it off all the gunk on the sponge goes right back into your water.

I still suggest getting a small power filter--the debris are easier to clean out and they generally provide a lot more space for bacteria. Also the current can be baffled using the soda bottle trick. They're not any more expensive than the internal filters either. Case in point: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...3578/3579/3608

It's still good idea to look up reviews on these on other websites--I don't have much experience with brands other than aquaclear and marineland.

Given the price difference I would go for the stealth heater, they don't have an indicator light (iirc) but they're not made of glass, so they take a lot more abuse than the glass hydor theo would. That's the only major difference. Also, you might want to take into account the size of the tank you're getting versus the size of the heater--25 watts is sufficient for 2-6 gallon tanks, and 50watts are usually used for 10+ gallon tanks. If you end up getting a shallow tank like the marineland eclipse 3, for instance, you'd probably have to lay a 50 watt heater sizeways on the gravel rather than have it stick to the side straight up and down because of the length.

Last edited by Adastra; 06-22-2010 at 01:13 AM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:24 AM   #3 
RandomFish

I have a Tetra Whisper internal filter that was packaged with a 5-gallon tank, and my only complaint is that it's too bulky.

My betta seems to like it fine but other people have reported that smaller fish have been sucked up through the bottom.

It keeps the water pretty clean and the cartridges are pretty cheap.

As for the heater...I would only recommend heaters that let you control the temperature, so that if your fish gets ich you can treat it. The one from Marineland doesn't seem to feature temperature control.

I really like the Rena SmartHeater. It's under $30 with shipping included and has a temperature control dial. What's really neat about it is that it heats the water by drawing it in and gently spitting it back out, so no chance of a fish getting burned. Also, it won't shatter like glass heaters. I have the 50w one for my 10g and have no complaints whatsoever.

Theo is also a good choice because its temperature control is very accurate. It has several good reviews on Amazon.
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:29 AM   #4 
SaylorKennedy

Red Sea Deco Art Nano Filter
does a great job, adjustable flow rate.
http://www.petco.com/product/12148/R...no-Filter.aspx
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:34 AM   #5 
Adastra

Ew, if the stealth isn't adjustable, choose another! I guess I didn't look carefully. :)
Old 06-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #6 
mjbn

@Randomfish: where did you get the Rena SmartHeater? I'm not really trying to buy stuff online, so if you could reference me to a store (walmart, petco, petsmart, etc.) it would be great. And if i can't find it, should i just stick with the Hydor Theo that i posted up there^?
Old 06-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #7 
mjbn

@Saylor, thanks for that link im forsure gonna get that filter!
Old 06-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #8 
RandomFish

Sorry, didn't realize that you didn't want to order online.....I don't know of any retail stores that carry it. So yeah, the Theo is a good choice IMO, since it's so accurate.
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:34 PM   #9 
mjbn

Well i'll be fine with online if theres a sale or if ithe shipping is free.?
Old 06-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #10 
Adastra

Well--typically pet stores have a very high mark-up in the actual store. A lot of the time if you go on Petco or Petsmart's online store, the online store's prices are cheaper than what you would find in the pet store. I always order online because even with shipping, you still would save a ton of money.

One example has to do with the heaters, actually--I bought 6 of the adjustable 25 watt hydor theos on Foster&Smith for $15.29 each, with $9 shipping. One of the heaters broke soon after I began using it, it simply would not get hot. So I went to a local pet store, which was selling this same heater for $25 each! Robbery! So I stuck the broken heater in the new heater's box and returned it to the pet store and made a profit. Even if I had bought only one heater and paid the $9 shipping, I still would have made a profit.