Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2010, 10:44 PM   #1 
addiep8908

Question Which one, which one?

I just put my two fishies into a HUGE divided 10 gallon tank. They were in two 2 gallon identical tanks that had undergravel filtration. I really liked the filtration and I found it extremely easy to clean. (And I never had to buy any filter cartridges!) The new tank has a big ol' filter hanging on the side of the tank that is pushing my fish around. I have heard lots of good things about these filters, but I think the fish liked the undergravel filter better. There were only a few bubbles at the top to compete with current-wise.

My question is- what do you use, have more experience with, and/or prefer? Any suggestions? Should I just stick with what I have, or should I consider switching the new tank over to an undergravel filter?

One more thing- Has anyone bought a "Zoo Med Floating Betta Log"? I saw them at Petsmart today and I almost got sucked into buying one... but then I was wondering if it was the biggest gimmick ever. Any thoughts?

Last edited by addiep8908; 06-26-2010 at 11:03 PM.
addiep8908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #2 
TheJadeBetta

Zoo Med Floating Betta Logs are awesome I have two. My Java used to love swimming in his. But he is no longer with me. So I gave one to Red and he built his first bubble nest in it.

EDIT: I use a bio-wheel, and the one the ten gallon kit comes with. I also have the Penn-Plax, I think that is it is called. If you happy with the under-gravel, you should just stick with it.

Last edited by TheJadeBetta; 06-27-2010 at 10:29 AM.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #3 
Adastra

You could baffle the filter flow a few different ways--many use a cut-up plastic water bottle, otherwise you could use some filter sponge tied over the outlet. You should feel free to be creative with your filter. Also, it's better to simply rinse out the filter cartridge and not change it--this is where your beneficial bacteria live, don't throw those away. :)

The reason they want you to replace it often is because the carbon is no longer effective after about a month--many people don't use carbon anyway, but if you would like to, it's far better to cut a slit in the filter floss/sponge, dump out the old carbon, and replace it with new, higher quality carbon.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #4 
WillowTree

My betta's love their floating logs!
WillowTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Well, the paint finally started coming off of Morgabn's log so I threw it away. :(
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #6 
TheJadeBetta

How long did you have it, dramaqueen?
Old 06-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Probably for about 3-4 months. I just discovered it yesterday and I threw it out.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #8 
TheJadeBetta

Really?! Did the inside flake or the outside?
Old 06-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #9 
addiep8908

Hmmm... I really don't want to buy something that I will have to throw away a few months later.
addiep8908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:58 PM   #10 
BettiBetta

I have never seen a floating log for bettas. Hmmm...the next time I go to petsmart I will have to ask about it! :)
BettiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote