Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2010, 10:39 PM   #1 
FuulieQ

Post New fish - Recovering from Popeye - help?

So, I just acquired a betta named Astro from a family who's moving out of state. I need to find him a home, as I can only take care of him temporarily.

Anyway, when I saw him I immediately noticed a white ring around one of his eyes. Before I could ask about it (thankfully) the previous owner explained that he had gotten popeye and that she had been treating it for some time. The eye is no longer sticking out of the socket, but I would like to follow up with her treatment. She gave me a bottle of Melafix. It seems to be working so far, I just wanted to make sure this is the right medication.

I'm so surprised, he's got a very different personality than my betta (Freedy). He's very chill and he seems to almost like people around him.

Also, if anyone's willing to take an old, sorta-beat-up betta with a sweet personality, feel free to message me with what state you're in. I'd like to avoid shipping him if possible.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:50 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

I would discontinue the melafix straight away. It is not a good medication for bettas.

If he has popeye what I would do is get some Jungle Fungus Clear and treat him with that for a week. If it doesn't go away after that I would look into stronger medications.

If it turns out you can't keep him I would be willing to foster him. I know that Zenandra also is getting into rescue also so she may also be able to help you find a home.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #3 
FuulieQ

... oh.

Well, I'm glad I asked. Would some Maracyn be okay for now until I can get back to my LFS?

And thanks very much for your help. :)
Old 06-27-2010, 11:03 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

I'm not sure about maracyn.. I've never used it. You want something that is antifungal or that says it treats popeye.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:48 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Maracyn will treat popeye.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:54 AM   #6 
xRainfallx

-hops in-

I might be able to take him

-hops out-
xRainfallx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:54 PM   #7 
FuulieQ

Oh! Cool. I have some of that on hand (that I keep since Freedy likes to sleep in the same spot he poops- can't be good 9_9 ) so I'll just give him a dose of that next time I change his water.

Thanks, Rainfall! What state are you in? I just found out that not only do I not WANT to ship him, I'm not ALLOWED to ship him - while I'm staying at my parents' house they're watching my fish money like hawks.

Sidenote - Astro comes with his two gallon tank, gravel, hidey thing, plastic plant, and a heater. I actually bought that heater for him when I received him from the family, everything else is all his from before (freshly cleaned, though).
Old 06-28-2010, 10:39 PM   #8 
FuulieQ

Oh, and how long should it be before I start to see improvement?
Old 06-28-2010, 10:43 PM   #9 
xRainfallx

I'm im Florida :3
xRainfallx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:48 PM   #10 
FuulieQ

Oh, poo. >:l

Well, in two weeks the family will get back from vacation. The only way I'd be able to get him to you is if they would agree to pay for shipping - I'll let you know if I can't find anyone else. :)

Tags
popeye