Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #1 
MangoTart

Breeding Question : P

Hm, where to start... well I have been doing quite a lot of research on betta breeding over the past few months, and now that it is summer I actually have the time to actually give it a try for the first time. I am a biology major and have always loved animals so I am not trying to profit or anything from it. XD I remember when I was younger, visiting cousins in Japan who bred fish as a hobby and wishing I could do that too. ^^ll

Anyways...I purchased a fish off of aquabid that I really liked and the breeder offered to sell me either one or both sibling females:

I was thinking of maybe purchasing both females, but I wanted to ask the forum if they looked "acceptable" so to speak (and if so which one would be better to breed with the male).

Of course I am not sure if I will even be successful, but even so I am not 100% sure what I will do with all the fry. I won't breed any fish until I have an answer for that though. I am hoping there are other alternatives to turning to Petco ><. I just wanted to get this question out of the way first. : P I acknowledge that I am a total beginner but that is why I am posting in the first place -> for advice/tips/warnings etc. XD

Advice + comments would be appreciated!
MangoTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #2 
beta novice

umm you need to research way more than a month and the first one what color line are you going for tail type etc what am i going to do with the fry these are some questions you need to answer before breeding
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:01 PM   #3 
tumtum

They are all amazing fish! I would love to see the fry. Good luck!

For the frys new homes, i know alot of schools keep fish as class pets, you could try that.
tumtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #4 
Jakr959

Hey Novice, have you bred bettas before, because it seems like you know alot about it
Jakr959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakr959 View Post
Hey Novice, have you bred bettas before, because it seems like you know alot about it
I was wondering the same thing.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #6 
MangoTart

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta novice View Post
umm you need to research way more than a month and the first one what color line are you going for tail type etc what am i going to do with the fry these are some questions you need to answer before breeding

I noted that I have been researching it over the span of a few months (for at least 3-5 months) so I know there is a lot of work involved (and am still in the process of learning). X_x I am also just going to be a hobbyist breeder and if I am going to breed any pair it will be the ones shown in the pictures (sibling HMs from the same breeder) as I like the breeder's (Sanya on Aquabid) multicolor patterned bettas. I have also stated that I will not attempt breeding any type of fish until I decide what I am going to do with the fry. : P I just wanted to get some questions out of the way as well as receive some imput from some more experienced betta owners/keepers.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #7 
MangoTart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumtum View Post
They are all amazing fish! I would love to see the fry. Good luck!

For the frys new homes, i know alot of schools keep fish as class pets, you could try that.
Thanks! ^^ I will keep that in mind. : P
Old 06-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

Lovely fish! In fact I was looking at that exact one and wished I could have bought him. Are you located in the US?.. because I would definitely buy a pair from you if you spawn him. :) I'm working on starting a marble line and would love to have fish like him!

You sound like you are doing the right thing by researching and are well on your way.

As for where you would sell the fish, forums are a great place to start! Then aquabid and ebay. You'll find that if you have good stock and price the fish right you should have no problem selling fry.

IMO I would get both sisters. They are both excellent. I like the first girl better then the second but they both would produce really nice fish with that male.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I would really like to see you spawn (partly because you sound like a great candidate for a potential breeder and partly because I REALLY want some fry from a match like that ).
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #9 
MangoTart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Lovely fish! In fact I was looking at that exact one and wished I could have bought him. Are you located in the US?.. because I would definitely buy a pair from you if you spawn him. :) I'm working on starting a marble line and would love to have fish like him!

You sound like you are doing the right thing by researching and are well on your way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post

As for where you would sell the fish, forums are a great place to start! Then aquabid and ebay. You'll find that if you have good stock and price the fish right you should have no problem selling fry.

IMO I would get both sisters. They are both excellent. I like the first girl better then the second but they both would produce really nice fish with that male.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I would really like to see you spawn (partly because you sound like a great candidate for a potential breeder and partly because I REALLY want some fry from a match like that
).

Ok, thanks for your advice! It helps a lot. ^^ I think you gave me advice on my first thread too! I was surprised nobody else bid on it since the other bettas posted along with it were purchased @_@ (but I guess that was a good thing for me XD).
Also yes, I am from the US. :) I could probably provide you some fish for free if the breeding goes well. I'd rather give the fish away to good homes than sell for money anyways so I will let you know. Thanks for your help again!
Old 06-26-2010, 08:09 PM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

If the pictures are perfect side views, I would use the first female because she has a more delta shape tail than the second (round). To produce good HM you need HM females. DT may produce HM but round tails are rather difficult (but possible - specially since it's from a HM line).

For colours, they're great multi colours and you would produce similar multi's with either one.

I hope you try breeding, it's great experience. Good luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote