Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #11 
Adastra

Definitely no feeder cubes. Your betta would be fine for a week with no food, but the water may become polluted in a week's time even if you do not feed the betta.

How big is the tank, and is it cycled?
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #12 
BettiBetta

My bettas are in 1 gallon bowls with live plant and hiding ornament.
I do full water changes weekly. I tested my water before I did a change today and the ammonia and nitrites were zero and the nitrates were 20 ppm. Ph was 6.8.
I definately won't buy the food cubes then!
I might try bloodworms again. I guess I will just feed them the Aqueon pellets for now. The first ingredient is whole fish salmon, herring etc. Thank you for the information on the different foods.
BettiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:22 PM   #13 
Jakr959

Leave a betta to starve for a week!?! That's the cruelest thing I have ever heard! NO GET A FRIEND TO FEED OR AS A LAST RESORT GET FEEDER CUBES!
Jakr959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:36 PM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

They can be left for a week without food. Yes, they'll be hungry but they won't starve to death.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:00 AM   #15 
BettiBetta

Thank you everyone for your replies! The reason I asked about the week is because sometimes we have a training session to go to for a week. Work sends us! I don't want to be cruel to my bettas. I was actually thinking of packing them up and taking them with me! LOL! Or would that be too stressful? I would trust my friend with my cat or dog but I don't know about bettas since she never had fish before I can imagine her feeding way too much and coming home to half dead, bloated bettas!
Old 07-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #16 
sjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakr959 View Post
Leave a betta to starve for a week!?! That's the cruelest thing I have ever heard! NO GET A FRIEND TO FEED OR AS A LAST RESORT GET FEEDER CUBES!
Let me explain the reasoning here, If you don't feed your fish, there will be less waste produced and hence less ammonia. SO if you have the option between not feeding and letting your fish rot in dirty water, I think not feeding is better.
Those auto feeding cubes contains clay and they will ruin your water quality, so they are not really an option.
However I think three weeks is too long of a time to let your fish sit alone without water changes and food and human contact. For this reason, for every betta owner, I think it is a good idea to establish relationships with a fish care taker before hand, so if you ever need to go out of town on emergency, they will be properly cared for.
That being said I need to find someone like that near me :)
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #17 
sjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettiBetta View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies! The reason I asked about the week is because sometimes we have a training session to go to for a week. Work sends us! I don't want to be cruel to my bettas. I was actually thinking of packing them up and taking them with me! LOL! Or would that be too stressful? I would trust my friend with my cat or dog but I don't know about bettas since she never had fish before I can imagine her feeding way too much and coming home to half dead, bloated bettas!
I completely agree, I took Clampy with me when I had to go out of town for a week. Drove him in the car in his 3 gallon tank, he was fine. I drove straight there and did not leave the tank in the hot car sitting anywhere. He came through fine, in fact I think I was more stressed and worried than he was.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #18 
BettiBetta

Thank you SJones, that is good to know!
I was thinking of putting them back in their cups with the lids that I bought them with and transporting them that way, in an open box with newspaper stuffed around so they didn't get jostled too much. Then I was planning on taking the water with condtioner in gallon jugs and then in a separate box taking their homes and then setting them up when I arrived at the hotel. :)
Whew! Oh well, I think it would be worth it. I think I would miss them terribly and wonder if they were ok at home. ;)
Old 07-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #19 
sjones

I think that would work!
Old 07-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #20 
PwnCho

What are your guys' opinions on leaving a fish for 3-4 days? Assuming that the fish is in a tank with the filter & heater running.
PwnCho is offline   Reply With Quote