Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2010, 11:52 PM   #1 
Maryrox247

Smile How's my feeding/cleaning schedule? LONG

Divided 20 gallon: (2 sections approx. 10 gallons each) One side has a king betta and one side has my halfmoon betta phantom with two rasboras(going to get one more) and two neon tetras.(going to get one more)
Once or twice a month I perform a 25% water change
I clean the filter pads (there are two in my Marina Slim Filter S20) once every month
I scrub algeae off weekly

17 gallon community/sorority (Female bettas!,guppies,platys,one rainbow tetra,and guppy/platy fry)
Once or twice a month i perform a 25% water change
I clean filter pad (I have a Penguin Bio Wheel 150) once a month
I scrub off algeae once a month. (algeae is not as bad in this tank since i did a lot off work on it about 2 weeks ago)

1 gallon (Aqueon Mini Bow kit) Temporarily housing Roger!

I perform a 25% water change once a week.
I clean the filter pad once a month (not much debris in his tank so filter doesnt need to be cleaned more) (filter came with the mini bow kit)
I don't really scrub off any algeae because this tank never has it! (me: I love this tank!)

Feeding schedule:
(NOTE: Due to my king betta's size he has a slightly different schedule)

For my bettas: (not the king betta!)
2-3 pellets twice daily but the pet store manager said feeding two often decreases their life span so i may do 3-4 pellets once a day instead.
They fast once a week.
Once or twice a week they get a few freeze dried bloodworms (yum yum lol!)
For my king betta:
He will get 5 pellets once a day and other than that have the same schedule as the others)

The community/sorority:
Sorority has same schedule as my other bettas.
Community gets flakes once a day and the girls dont reallt eat the flakes so im not worried.

So what do you think? My fish seem to be doing fine with this but any suggestions would be great! Sorry this post is so long!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:17 AM   #2 
1fish2fish

Are your tanks cycled? Your water changes seem very minimal to me. I think I would do at least a water change every 2 weeks of about 30-50%. The 1 gallon IMO should be getting 2 50% changes a week if its cycled and 100% changes if it isn't.

Your feeding schedule looks good :) I might look into getting a little bit more variety like frozen blood worms, brine shrimp, etc. I also occasionally feed freeze dried brine shrimp but the fish don't like them nearly as much.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:23 AM   #3 
Alienbetta1
Banned

Man they are long!
Alienbetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #4 
fleetfish

Freeze dried bloodworms/brineshrimp often carry the risk of parasites moreso than frozen bloodworms; also, if you don't soak the freeze dried worms there might be some massive bloating with your fishies. It's also a good idea to vary the diet with more frozen foods such as brine shrimp. I used to have a Giant plakat and he was massive, so he ate a little more than usual, about five pellets only once a day and then varied frozen foods whenever I fed my other fish.

For a sorority, good quality flakes (used Omega One) are okay since they're little sharks when it comes to feeding time, but same deal with the boys. Let the girls hunt around for their food, fun times!

1g's should be changed twice a week.

Last edited by fleetfish; 06-29-2010 at 10:23 AM.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #5 
Adastra

I'm concerned about the populations of neon tetras and rasboras--both of these are schooling fish that need to be kept in groups of at least six, preferably more. Any less, and they are extremely prone to nipping your betta's fins.

I vacuum and do 30% changes on all my larger tanks once a week--but you should really have/use your test kit to make sure that your schedule is keeping your water clean. How often do you test your water?

I agree that the 1G should be changed twice a week/every three days 100%.

Feeding two pellets twice a day should be fine--don't trust what most people in fish stores have to say. Many of them, especially older guys, use "old school methods" that have long since been debunked. Other employees are just plain ignorant, they only know enough to sell you things because that's all they've been trained to do.

They are used to people who have bettas in tiny, tiny unheated bowls, and we all knows what happens when you overfeed a cupped/bowled betta--you get constipation/bloating because they're too cold and lethargic to digest food properly, and you get ammonia poisoning because the tiny amount of water they're in cannot dilute the waste. If your betta is properly housed and heated, you should have no problem with your feeding schedule.

Last edited by Adastra; 06-29-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:29 PM   #6 
Maryrox247

Both my larger tanks are cycled.Don't worry I will be getting one more tetra for each of the groups since yes they are schooling fish I know and they don't seem to pay much attention to phantom so I'm not that worried but thank you for your concern! :)

1fish2fish tanks under five gallons can't be cycled. Would a 50% water change once a week be ok for my one gallon? ( I don't want to stress out Roger too much) I am very lazy with my changes but i will work harder from now on. :)So i will do a 30% change on my 17 and 20 gallon tanks once every two weeks.

I am overdue to get my water tested so i will do that as soon as i can. ( i get it tested at my LFS for free.)

Thank you everyone!
Old 06-30-2010, 02:55 AM   #7 
Mizzle

you clean the filter pads? aren't you supposed to change them out with new ones rather than clean them off?
Mizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:10 AM   #8 
Maryrox247

No because good bacteria builds up on the pad! you do replace the filter pad once in a while but not too often.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #9 
Lion Mom

OR don't use filter pads at all! I don't - I use AquaClear sponges in ALL my filters and just clean them in used tank water when doing water changes. I have not purchased a filter pad in YEARS!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote