Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2010, 03:54 PM   #1 
Kattnipp

Have the Tank

So we have the tank, filter, heater, two silk type plants. One has a spot to swim through and one that looks like a lot of foliage. I also have a terracotta pot in the tank. Oh it is 10 gallons. We are getting a Betta fish in August. I have it set up but what I don't have is something for the bottom of the tank. We had rocks in it but after almost two weeks the water was worse then when I started. I emptied the water and now has clean water in it. What should I have in the bottom? Is gravel the best or only choice? Would glass rocks or marbles work okay?
Oh another question do I need to treat the water now or wait for closer to when we are getting our fish? I asked at the pet store but the two people working both had different answers.

Thanks
Annette
Kattnipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #2 
Welsh

What do you mean the water was worse than when you started? was it cloudy? If so, that was probably the start of your cycle.

Gravel isn't the only choice, there is also sand which is a lot more trickier to clean but gives the tank a natural feel.

If you go with gravel make sure its pea sized, anything bigger will let the water through and your plants won't anchor down. I've never had silk plants so i'm not sure if the same thing applies :)

If you go with sand then I don't think it will be as messy since you will be having just one fish, so less work for you :)

Treating the water? by this I assume you mean adding de-chlorinator? I waited until I had the fish before I put any in, IMO there isn't much point if there are no fish but others may have different opinions on that :)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #3 
Kattnipp

When I first set up the tank the water was clear. I used tap water that I had put in a clean bucket for about 2 weeks. I added rocks to the bottom and over the course of two weeks the water got very very cloudy/dirty. I didn't have any fish in it. I rinsed the rocks until the water was clear. Also the silk plants were rinsed. Now that I have cleaned the tank out and started again the water is clear but I don't have anything in the bottom which isn't going to work because it is a mirrored bottom so our Betta fish wouldn't be happy. I was thinking of adding either marbles or glass rocks so wondering if that would be okay. We are hoping to get a Betta fish the end of July.

Thank you for your response.

Annette
Old 07-03-2010, 03:30 PM   #4 
Welsh

People on here use marbles and glass rocks etc just make sure you wash them before you put them in to your tank :)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #5 
frogipoi

DONT USE GRAVEL!! It will cause teared fins. The smooth rocks are better. Plastic plants with sharp edges are a no. BE careful!
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

Question

Hey! =] One of my best friends (who is also the mother of my best friend) is named Annette! =] I like you!

Hmm.... mysteriously cloudy water? Mine never got cloudy. =/ I have no idea. I suggest getting different gravel because gravel is an important part of cycling your tank. It gives the beneficial bacteria that you need in your tank a place to live.

I suggest the brand of gravel that they sell at Petsmart (they also sell it at walmart for cheaper ;]).

Also I suggest live plants. Anubias (the big leaved kind), and dwarf lilies are my fav. I bought some bulbs at walmart but you can buy already grown live ones from the petstore too! =] That way you wouldn't have to wait. =] The only reason I bought bulbs is because it will be a while till Genie's out of his hospital tank. =[ So unfortunately I have the time to grow them. =[

But that's all just my advice and opinions and since I'm a noob too it probably means squat. =P Good luck though! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #7 
Kattnipp

Thank you all so much for your help. I think we have settled on the glass rocks so I don't worry so much about the fish. I have silk plants in the tank and made sure they are not rough as I had read that rough plants are not good for the Betta. I still have so much reading to do before the end of July.

Oh I should mention anyone named Annette has to be a great person. hehe

Annette
Old 07-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #8 
wallywestisthebest333

Good luck! =] Make sure to post with tons of pics when you get your baby! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote