Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #1 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Ignorance kills

Sorry to bore you with this story, but I need to get it out of my chest. I'll try to make it as short as possible.

I did something really stupid today which caused the death of 4 of my son's and my wife's hamsters. I left a stray dog that had been rescued by my wife inside our gate as I left the house (it's always placed out of the gate every morning and in again in the afternoon). The hamsters were out on the front porch (in their cages - for fresh air and sunlight) and the dog attacked them. 15 minutes after I left, my wife called frantically, crying and screaming.

When I got home, I found out that 2 died, 2 missing (assumed dead), 1 injured, 6 badly stressed, and the dog had been kicked a number of times (to rescue a hamster - by wife and then by my raged son). I feel really bad because my wife had them since they were born.

Both my son and my wife (who probably cried for hours) forgive me, but still the hamsters are dead. And now the dog wouldn't eat.... the poor thing doesn't understand what it did wrong. All because of my ignorance, my stupidity.......
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:48 PM   #2 
Terranariko

I wont put any sympathy in this...but you can rest asured it's all true...unfortunately that does mean some of the negative...but I'm asumeing you already know the negative.

Unfortunately...yes you where very stupid for leaving a bunch of hamsters outside alone, just being alone outside is a bad thing even in a cage, now the fact is the dog only saw those hamsters as food, not someones pets. So the dog isn't to blaim...unfortunately you are somewhat to blaime.

but...you are very brave for admiting your wrong, most people in that situation would most likely blaime the dog, now those are really ignorant people, you aren't ignorant...lose of judgement...yes...but not ignorant.

so your right with the stupidity...but your not ignorant...stupidity isn't a crime...it's human and natrual from time to time to lose a sense of judgement and be side tracked....I get that all the time...maybe not to cause the death of stuff but yeah.

Honestly there isn't much you can do at this point, just try to take care of the remaining ones, and help heal any of the wounded ones. Hopefully your son and wife forgive you soon, and hopefully they don't blaime the dog as well.

It's a sad thing...of course...but like I said the dog didn't know any better, and you just had a lose in judgement...noting to be done, but a lot to be gain. Basicly learn from this and make sure you don't make the same mistake again?
Terranariko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry that this happened to you. I think we all dohave done stuff that we shouldn't have done.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #4 
RandomFish

At least you learned from this tragedy, and I bet your son will never repeat this mistake when he grows up.

When I was a toddler my parents bought me these birds and decided to leave the cage on the porch. It wasn't long before a cat killed them, even though they were inside a cage. They said I cried a lot. They should've known better.
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Thanks for the replies.

No we don't blame the poor dog. After I explained to my son, he doesn't blame him too. My wife even wanted to accompany the dog and make it want to eat (last night) but I told her to give the dog time to heal (physically and emotionally/psychologically).

We were so happy that the dog was OK in the morning, he ate and wanted to play again. It took about a month for the dog to accept us, to take food and shelter. It looks as if he was mistreated or has been hit by a car or something (limping on his right front leg and left hind leg) so we don't want him to wonder around again. The funny thing is, he won't accept anyone but our family. It growls at others who tries to come close (we can't keep him. Our neighbor wants him but he wouldn't accept them).

....... I could go on and on about Googy (my son named him Googy from guk guk - dog sound in our language), I love dogs. But this is a fish forum...... So thanks again for the replies.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote