Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2010, 02:43 AM   #1 
elv91

oh I have a question??

I have my betta in a 1 gallon tank and i was wondering if that would be to big or to small for him. Everyone on here seems to know a lot about them so i thought i would ask. Sorry if it seems like a stupid question. I'm new to bettas lol (:
elv91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:28 AM   #2 
metalbetta

I'd say the minimum for bettas is 1 gallon. I keep all of mine in 1G tanks and they work pretty well for my temporary space limitations, and they seem to have enough room for one fish each. There are others that will say that 5 gallons is the minimum but IMO for one fish that's a little much. But that's just me.

A 1 gallon tank should be fine, but if I had the opportunity I'd upgrade to 2.5 gallons. Really it's up to you. Just nothing smaller than a gallon! lol
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #3 
FloridaBettas239

1 gallon?

I would say 1 gallon is very good yes bigger is always better for your fish if you were locked in a room for the rest of your life would you like a small room where you cant strech your legs or a big one where you can move around but 1 gallon is fine i have several bettas in 1 gallon and 1 1/2 gallon tanks and they do great ive seen bettas live in small nasty conditions and rescue them and watch them turn back to a bright blue again or there fins grow longer bettas are tuff fish but still should be taken care of very well hope i could help
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #4 
kuklachica

1 gallon is ok as long as you keep up with the water changes. The ammonia from their poo builds up very quickly in such a small space (think of swimming in your toilet bowl and not flushing!) so you need to do 100% water changes every other day ideally. At least every 2 or 3 days. That means 100% new water, rinse everything out with hot water including the tank, decorations, gravel, then add new conditioned water. Having a larger tank gives you the opportunity to cycle it, which means less water changes, and no 100% changes. So it is up to you, but just make sure you provide the proper upkeep for the size tank that you have.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #5 
FloridaBettas239

Very well said i would rather someone keep a betta in a half gallon tank or bowl as long as they kept the water quality better than the gallon that is a big lie about bettas yes they live in low water areas but if you look at them there is water flow all the time yes im sure you can find them in small areas that are nasty but they thrive in good water just like any other fish which the pet store will tell you that they live in such poor water like its ok for you to do it just to make a point my brother had a spawn two weeks before my spawn and because i kept the water clean and did WC every week my fry out grew his and looked almost a month older just by good water
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #6 
mysquishy

1 gallon is fine as long as you keep the water changed. Two of my boys are happier in a smaller tank like 1-2 gallons. When I put them in a larger tank they got too stressed. The rest of my boys enjoy lots of room to swim around in. lol
mysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #7 
Alexanderismylife

I think that a 1 gallon tank should be fine for your betta as long as you keep up the water changes :] My newest betta is in a 1 gallon because it is much easier to clean and He has ich and fin rot....Just keep up water changes and your betta should be just fine :]
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #8 
AureliaAurita

I usually keep my bettas in a 1 gallon and they live for a very long time because I keep up with the water changes. I like to do % changes during the week and then a 100% change at the end. Especially where I live, it's extremely warm so the water evaporates quickly, leaving a more concentrated living environment with high levels of nitrates and ammonia. To keep on top of this, I leave a little pitcher of dechlorinated water nearby my kids and just fill up the tanks as needed (I use it for my plants too!) =P
AureliaAurita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #9 
Jakr959

1G is fine. I have Akrin in a 1g and he is perfectly happy! a 1 gallon is not sutile for a king betta tho
Jakr959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:28 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

U have ny females in 1 gallons but I wouldn't go any smaller.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote