Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2010, 02:28 PM   #1 
ThePearlFish

Ugh Ich!

I think Knight has Ich, He has little white dots all over him. It makes me upset cus He and Spartan were the only ones with no issues! could it have come from the 5g tank I got even though there wasn't any water in it at all? or from the filter sponge that came with the tank? I think there MIGHT hae been goldfish in there before, maybe that's what they died from?? I dunno.

I took him out of the tank away from the cory cats and gave it a 50% change and I am going to try to treat him away from the cory cats and treat the corys too Inside of the 5g. I have Pima fix. these are not normal white spots either, they are in his tail and fins.

So, ugh.....
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:03 PM   #2 
ThePearlFish

Well Knight passed away sometime today. rghh I am so frustrated. He was so beautiful and perfect!

:( RIP Knight!

My cory cats are still going strong tho the little buggers.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #3 
Adastra

Many believe that small colonies of ich survive in most tanks, but only infest fish whose immune systems have weakened enough to fall prey to them. Instead of looking to blame some of your tank's past residents, I would review the environmental conditions of the fish for possible sources of stress. Ich looks like tiny salt crystals scattered across the fish, if these white spots were blotchy or fuzzy, then it is likely he was infected with some kind of bacteria.

Either way, Pimafix could not help with either of these things. Pimafix is merely an antiseptic/anti-inflammatory agent. It is not antibiotic and it will not do anything for an ich infestation. In my opinion, I don't find pimafix/melafix to be very useful for much of anything--one could do what those "medications" do with just clean water.

I suggest getting an antibiotic like Triple Sulfa or both Maracyn I and Maracyn II to keep on hand in case something like this happens again. If your fish has an ich infestation, one of the strongest treatments is malachite green (AKA victoria green), found in Jungle's Ick Clear among many other popular ich medications. I would only use malachite green if the infestation were very severe.

Last edited by Adastra; 06-29-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #4 
ThePearlFish

I wasn't blaming the tank or past residents, I was just wondering if it was possible it could've survived in the tank.

I read up on Ich after I posted this thread and picked up a treatment that contains formalin, zinc-free chloride salt and malachite green, to start treating the tank, but Knight the one I was mainly trying to treat died this AM and I only have my 3 cory cats left to treat.

If it isn't possible that my tank had come with this, I could understand how my fish could have been stressed to bring out this condition.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #5 
Adastra

I wasn't judging you for thinking that, sorry if I stated that rather bluntly--just trying to give you a more constructive way of trying to stop this from happening again. :)

If the cories do not show signs of sickness or infestation, I would not treat them. Medication can be very hard on them, and if they have strong immune systems, they should be able to fight off the ich themselves.

Many things can cause fish to weaken--fluctuating temperatures, low temperatures, too much traffic near the tank, not enough cover, poor water quality, fluctuating water conditions, tank mates, poor diet, the list goes on. It may be helpful to try eliminating some of the more obvious ones.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:34 PM   #6 
ThePearlFish

Thanks, I understand. So, what I decided to do then is treat the tank, just in case! (w/o the cories in it, I have faith in my cories to be strong and stubborn, not as much faith in my bettas sadly) then do a full water change then let the cories back into the tank and let them live there (not going to treat them, since they seem to be okay) till they grow old and it's their time to pass. I am not going to add a betta to it again. Though Knight seemed content and okay with the cories, perhaps they might have stressed him more than I could see. The temp was ok and the betta ate well and I just did a 50% change the day I noticed the spots, which was a week after the tank was set up and the water was still looking clean, but I don't want to risk any other betta in it right now. sometimes they seem so strong yet so fragile!

Last edited by ThePearlFish; 06-29-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #7 
Adastra

You should consider getting some more of the same species of cories. They will be happier if they're allowed to live in a group of six or more. Good luck with your fish tank--I hope treating for the ich did not ruin your cycle if you had one going.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:57 PM   #8 
ThePearlFish

My corys all like to bunch together and seem happy swimming after each other, Because of the fact that after they pass away I want to get rid of this 5g tank, I am hesitant to get anymore, cus I will have a never ending cycle of corys that I will never be able to get rid of (I feel like) unless they all die at the same time of something. I am also pretty attached to them, and even though I have thought of adopting them out to someone that has cories, I couldn't do that. These three have been my only ones for a little more than a year, so so far they aren't suffering to much and I hope to maintain them for a couple more years at least. :)

I still will consider adding 2 more, to make it a family of 5 corys, but 5 in a 5g is pushing it I think. Lots to think about!