Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2010, 05:26 PM   #1 
thegameksk

Root tabs question

Hey guys. My friend just gave me a some root tabs. My question is how many do I need to put in for a 10 gallon tank? I also have flourish excel. Is it safe to use them together??
thegameksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #2 
zoragen

Yes you can use them together.

How many plants do you have? I would think in a 20 gal you wouldn't need more than 4-5.
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #3 
Calmwaters

That depends on what kind of plants you have and how many you have and how far apart they are from each other. Give me a little more info and I will be able to help more. If you have Sword plants such as the Amazon Sword I would put one near the base of each of them as they need the nutrients.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:34 AM   #4 
thegameksk

I have 2 tanks. A 10 gallon and 5 gallon both split. I have amazon sword plants on each side of the tanks and bamboo in my 10. So should I put 1 tab on each side near the amazon sword? Also do I just place it under the gravel or break it up? I have catfish in the tank and im worried they will dig up the tab and eat it.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:05 PM   #5 
Adastra

Just place a whole tab under the roots of the amazon sword. If you have a pair of forceps, that would make it easier. Be aware that bamboo is not an aquatic plant, and if the plant is submerged completely, or if most of its leaves are under water, it will rot and die, polluting your water. I would remove it and put it in a vase or a pot.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:55 PM   #6 
Calmwaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
Just place a whole tab under the roots of the amazon sword. If you have a pair of forceps, that would make it easier. Be aware that bamboo is not an aquatic plant, and if the plant is submerged completely, or if most of its leaves are under water, it will rot and die, polluting your water. I would remove it and put it in a vase or a pot.
I agree with Adastra.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #7 
thegameksk

I will put a root tab under each amazon sword in my 10 gallon. I dont think I will use one in my 5 since they seem to be growing pretty well and I dont want to keep havinmg to prune due to the 5 being small. I will also remove the bamboo. I think I will add another plant in its place. Any ideas?? I need something that it simple to care for.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #8 
wallywestisthebest333

good luck! =]

for the 5 gallon:

nymphaea stellata is rumored to do well. =] You can buy them at walmart as bulbs in the fish section they'll be caled lily bulbs. =] they're red and purple looking on the packaging. =] I just bought some and I have no idea how they'll turn out. getting fertilizer for them tomorrow! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote