Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #1 
shemetz

Question how to set up my ten gal?

i just got a ten gallon tank for my new beta that i am getting on friday and i was wondering if you had any suggestions about how to set it up ?
shemetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #2 
Adastra

I would suggest researching the nitrogen cycle and how to cycle a tank without fish. Since you do not have your betta yet, I suggest holding off on getting one until the tank has been properly cycled. This will mean a lot less work for you and a lot less stress on your betta.

If you do not have this stuff already, you will need a 50watt adjustable heater, approximately 10lbs of substrate if you choose to use it, a small power filter or canister filter, a small air pump and airstone to help speed up the cycling process, a master test kit, pure ammonia from the hardware store, and some kind of biological starter media from another tank or bottled bacterial supplement. If the tank came with incandescent bulbs, those will have to be replaced with fluorescent bulbs. It is a good idea to put your decorations and live/silk plants in during the cycling process so that they can be colonized by the bacteria.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:05 AM   #3 
PwnCho

Why does the lighting need to be from a fluorescent light?
PwnCho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:56 AM   #4 
MustardGas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwnCho View Post
I don't think it HAS to be, but it's highly reccommended. Incandescents create a lot of heat which can cause a bit of temp. flux once the lights go out. Fish and plants look a lot nicer with the fluorescents as well, much more realistic than the yellow tinge that regular bulbs cause. Also if this person would want live plants, most don't fare well with the incandescents.
MustardGas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:59 AM   #5 
Mizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwnCho View Post
you can't grow plants with incandescent bulbs.
flourescent bulbs are more energy efficient.
flourescent bulbs last longer
also, i've never found a flourescent fixture to fit on a 10 gallon. So I don't know how much luck you would have going down that path.
Mizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #6 
Adastra

They make CFLs that fit into a fixture on most 10gallon incandescent strip lights. Fluorescent strip lights are readily available, and they're fairly cheap. I would never use an incandescent light over a fish tank, they run extremely hot and can cause dangerous temperature changes that will weaken the immune system of the fish, making them susceptible to illnesses and infestation by parasites.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:30 PM   #7 
MustardGas

I have a fantastic Life-Glo that fits into a standard 10-gallon hood (twists in)
It's a 15-watt and my live plants are thriving!
Posted via Mobile Device
MustardGas is offline   Reply With Quote