Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #1 
dukie1346

I'm going to get some live plants

So, since I set up my one and only fish tank a year ago, I've used fake plants. Since some of them aren't doing too well, I've been looking on the computer for some easy plants that even I have a chance to grow :P So far I have 1 java fern tied to a barrel decoration. It hasn't died yet :)

I'm going to be picking up some anacharis and maybe an anubias plant if they have them. I've also read about hornwort, and I heard it can be a good plant, but it sheds needles. Should I stay away from hornwort? I don't need my tank to be a mess.

If I do get some live plants today, I'll make sure to post a before and after shot of the tank. I'm sure Pepper and the cories are going to enjoy some new live plants :)
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:35 PM   #2 
Adastra

Hornwort does sometimes go through die-back phases, but if it has enough nutrients this is quite minimal. If your tank has a fairly consistent nitrate level and low light, it should be ok. You may want to consider using a supplement like Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive. It is perfectly safe, just add a dose with each water change.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:55 PM   #3 
BartTheFish

I'm not sure what the specific name of it is but I know most people call it submerged grass. If you take a look at my photos.. or even click the aquariums tab below my username, or click the link in my signature, you can see in my pics and video the grass.. my Betta loves it and trust me... it's hard to kill! lol
BartTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #4 
Jakr959

I got Akrin a live plant, an Amazon Sword. Looks beautiful, I highly recommend it.

Last edited by Jakr959; 06-29-2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: error
Jakr959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:53 PM   #5 
zoragen

I think most swords need a decent amount of light. Some of them can also get pretty big.

I have a red sword in a low light tank & use excel, seachem comprehensive & fert tabs.

It's hanging in there but would be happy w/ higher light.

If you could upgrade the bulb on an eclipse tank I would!!
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #6 
Calmwaters

Here are a few low light plants that I have tried and like because they are easy to care for:
Aponogetons, Cryptocorynes, Anubias, and aquatic ferns. My favorite of the group would be the cryptocorynes because they come in red, green, and bronze which makes it easy to add a little color to your tank. I use Seachem Flourish tabs once every 3 months and they do great.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote