Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2010, 02:03 PM   #1 
sharkweek

Difference in personality of male and female bettas.

Hello all,
I am planning to get a new betta and I am wondering if there is a difference in personality when it comes to male and female bettas. I have a really awesome little half moon male at my work in a 1 gallon tank sitting on my desk and I love him! He is such a character, and I would love another betta with as much personality. I am not sure if I should get a male or female for my house though. Also- I might quit my job and bring my HM male home- Would you recommend dividing a 5 gallon tank if I choose to get another male? I would love to have a small sorority as well but I think my tank is too small.
any advise?
sharkweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #2 
Jooleeah

Not really. My females are a little more like "OMGAWD :D" than most of the boys when they see me. Except for Patchy, he freaks out too :P They jump a lot though.
And the dividing thing should be good, just watch cause some like to jump over the divider for a little visit and for a sorority you should have at least a 10 gallon :)
Jooleeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:32 PM   #3 
sharkweek

i love how my little guy just looks at me and gapes and flares -- good to know that the girls make silly faces as well. i wish i had room for a 10 gallon. has anyone had success with a sorority of 3? what if you get the girls really young?
Old 06-30-2010, 02:34 PM   #4 
Jooleeah

You shouldnt do a sorority of 3 they'll all gang up on eachother :P. Id stick to 4-6.
Jooleeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:20 PM   #5 
Adastra

I would recommend getting larger tanks--a 1.5 gallon is not an ideal size for a betta because it is too small for most heaters and the water must be changed 100% every three days or so to keep the ammonia low. Fish in tanks these small often develop neurotic behaviors like glass surfing and tail biting, many become obese from lack of exercise and others die from ammonia poisoning. I suggest getting a larger tank with an adjustable heater. I would not advise a sorority in anything less than a 10G, with a minimum of four individuals.

Personally, if I were you I would take the male you have home and put him in the five gallon--he would be much happier, and wouldn't be subject to the risks of keeping them at work. I've heard horror stories of bettas dying from power outages, overfeeding by co-workers, and poisoning by maintenance people spraying cleaners/pesticides. Something you may want to consider.

As far as personality differences go, I would say that every fish is an individual, although you will likely find that females move around and are generally more active than many males due to their more compact finnage.

Last edited by Adastra; 06-30-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:31 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Females can yhave as much personality as the males.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:03 PM   #7 
sharkweek

thanks so much! I might just take the tank back to walmart and get a larger one then.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #8 
sharkweek

well, instead of a larger tank- i got a Giant king betta for the 5 gallon i have. HOLY COW THIS DUDE IS HUGE! I also got a bigger 2.5 gallon for my little work buddy. thanks for all your help- i will post pics of the setup when i am finished