Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2010, 02:56 PM   #1 
Dead Sunlight

Unhappy Betta's got Ich!!!

Dead Sunlight has really bad Ich... oNE MINUTE, he only has small studs, the next, it is all over him!!!!! I can't get Ich stuff, but my sis said that he just shook and the Ich on each side just fell off!!! I have him in a cup right now... should I leave him in it?or get him a bigger tank? i KNOW THAT THIS IS A COMMON DISEASE but I'm just heartbroken... Also, I netted him... How do I remove the Ich in the net?

I HATE FISH DIEASES
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #2 
Dead Sunlight

oh, and has anyone ever had experienced bettas shaking the ich of their body? Also, he keeps opening his mouth... that is a bad thing...
Old 06-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #3 
Dead Sunlight

He is active... i don't understand!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #4 
Dead Sunlight

Sorry I keep doing this, but should I feed him to during recovery, and should I keep the bottom of the tank bare?
Old 06-30-2010, 03:40 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

With mild cases of ich I use the two cup method and move them from one cup to the other daily. I clean the cups with warm water and replace with fresh dechlorinated water-to give daily 100% water changes to manually remove the parasite from the environment.
Opening and closing the mouth-most likely the ich are in his gills too
The parasite life cycle-they dislodge from the host to reproduce and then re-infect, you can't kill the parasite while it is on the host/fish without killing the host/fish. The open wounds that the parasite leaves on the fish can become a secondary infection and clean water can help prevent this too.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #6 
Dead Sunlight

Have any experience of shaking Ich off the body? How long should I keep up thhe treatment?
Old 06-30-2010, 04:01 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I treat for at least 3 days past the last day I seen any parasites on the fish.

No, I have never personally seen a fish shake ich off their body as you have stated
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #8 
Dead Sunlight

Hmm, go figure...
Old 07-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #9 
Adastra

Ich does tend to look worse before it starts getting better--warmer water speeds up the life cycle of the ich, so that it detaches from the fish sooner and begins its free-swimming stage. During this stage you can kill the ich. If the warm, clean water with salt method does not work and the fish begins to deteriorate, I suggest using a treatment that includes malachite/victoria green, as can be found in Jungle's Ick Clear tabs.

Ich is something that usually starts on fish who have been weakened in some way, often times due to temperature issues or poor water quality. I would monitor the temperatures of this fish's water to make sure they are warm and stable, and review your water changing routine to be sure that the water is staying clean between water changes.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote