JamieTron

Well I personally love my mutt fry even if no one else loves them
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #42 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyyymo View Post
I just want to back up for a minute.

Just because beginners breed pet store bettas doesn't mean we don't have goals in mind. I have a grasp on what I want from breeding, even if it is a pet store pair.
That's my entire point. If you have a goal in mind (past I think these are pretty fish who will have pretty babies) then it's your choice where you choose to get stock.

Its the "practice" pair that I don't agree with. This isn't a sport. You either breed or you don't breed. You don't "practice" breeding.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #43 
Welsh

Practise pair - This is exactly what my mother and sister want me to do, "breed them Leah if it doesn't turn out right then atleast you can say you tried" this is what annoys me, that people don't class fish as living things. I REALLY want to breed my fish but I know that other than ebay I won't have anywhere to sell them, my goal is to breed them and give a few to my LFS just so they can see that there are other types of bettas other than CT and VT which is all they stock. I am a newbie to bettas and so even though I have been researching for four months and even though I know what the parents of my bettas looks like

Male - http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2396/machocopy.
jpg

Female: http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1153/hembraroja
minif.jpg

I don't know for sure what i will end up with and so this is the reason why I most likely won't end up breeding.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:17 AM   #44 
Mattman

I think those who emphasize What you want out of breeding are correct. Obviously I think a if you do breed you should be responsible. Are you breeding to learn the process or for show. I understand pet store bettas are not recognized but still if you are learning the process, have the time, money, and love to care for every fish and fry, why not. I have two pet store bettas which I will try to breed. This is my first attempt and I have been researching like mad to ensure it is a success and have a ton of friends who would like one.
Mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:01 AM   #45 
Curlyfatbottom

Mutt in dog seem to be healthier then most pure breed
Just watching my brother dog(english bulldog)n I can tell it's not a healthy as my little sister mutt(chihauhuax?)

When something get to pure you will encounter many problem
Just watching n helping out my brother with his breeding
It's sad that the male can't breed without human help
Plus the female can't give nature birth

With dog u can force breed
Your playing god to get with sell

Now with betta
There only one person I like on Ab n it is ram91
At his price I'll be broke to get a set up fish for breeding
2 trio will sink me into a very deep hole

I'm a local breeder n sell local
Idk about other breeder
But I've basic the sell on the spawn
Higher quality spawn=20+a fish
Lower quality spawn=even if I'm manage to produce a decent fish 15 max
N I still get low ball
People proclaiming that they can get fish with the same quality for $5
Expect me to sell to them at the price that there asking for

Yeah I don't know the genetic(color) of the fish n it seem high
But it breed true in size
Also the breed that I'm working with don't come at a reasonal price
Even at the price I'm selling them at, is still a lost
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:56 AM   #46 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Well bred fish still produce bad fry.. These are culled by breeders. No one tests their Betta for genetic conditions like with dogs, breed what you want and cull the "uglies" just like everyone else. People breeding pet shop fish are usually more willing to spend time homing fish, they all realize the challenges of it. If you're ready than go for it.. If you're in a rush, can't wait for a pair to ship in, then you lack the patience to breed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Olympia; 05-17-2012 at 06:03 AM.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:51 AM   #47 
BeckyFish97

No fish will ever have a spawn without some deformed fry, its a fact of breeding. If you want to breed good quality fry, and don't want to deal with a bunch of "wild cards" then you should buy breeding quality fish. If you don't mind having a bunch of "wild cards" then sure, go ahead and breed pet store fish, but make sure when you pick the fish out, you look for the ones with the BEST fins, NO deformities, the BEST body shape!Don't just go in there thinking you're gonna walk out with two perfect fish, because the likelyhood is you wont!Take your time looking, if one day they don't have the fish quality you want, then DON'T BUY THEM!!!I have no problem with breeding pet store fish, because that is exactly how we got all the fin types we have today!!!The problem is not the fish, but the owner, if the owner goes into the breeding with their head in the sand then they will never get anywhere!!!If people want to breed pet store fish I think the main message is this: Breed Responsibly, if you want pet store fish, make sure you have the best of the lot!Make sure you know what you're doing, maybe even have a few practise spawns with platy's or guppies, learn the trade, work out what is good and what is a rip off, and most of all, have fun with it!!!(But be aware of the work that comes with it)

PS:"mutt" fry are cute!you can show me a halfmoon perfect rays etc, but put a cute little "mutt" fish next to it and there's no competition, I completely disagree with the people who say mutt fry are ugly and wont have a good life, because with the right care they can have the best life of the lot!!!

PPS: Just my opinion, please people don't start on me for it!

Last edited by BeckyFish97; 05-17-2012 at 07:02 AM.
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #48 
Oldfishlady

This is a 2 year old post.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #49 
Luimeril

it's a 2 year old post, but it IS pretty important.

my thing is, i don't agree with using pet store bettas as 'practice', just like 1fish. if you're gonna breed, have a reason other than practice or 'they're so pretty! i want pretty babies!'. there's also a difference between breeding any betta, and breeding something you want to improve.

for example, i wouldn't go out and buy your average blue with red wash male, and shove him on any female. i'd probably get more blue with red wash, which is overly common in pet stores and they'd sit there.

BUT! i've gotten some unique bettas from Pet Lover's, like my nearly black with blue iridescence veil, Scout. it's such a unique color, one i've never seen before in veils. i'd probably search for a female who'd go well with him. mind you, i'm not smart in colors, so, for example, maybe a wild-color female? continue with that unique color and maybe try to improve it. never saw an all-black veil before!

i've seen what breeding pet store bettas can get you. and i don't see anything wrong with it. you just have to use the same standards when looking for a quality pair to breed.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #50 
BeckyFish97

Oh pants, I didn't see that!!!I just presumed because people where posting on it it must be recent!!!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote