Originally Posted by Narnian
I wasn't quite sure where to ask this. Sorry if it's the wrong board. Anyways, a few questions on Mystery snails:
1. Do they need to be acclimated to the water like fish?
2. Do they require any other special needs for their shell?
3. What about food? Do they need zucchini or algae blocks? (I'm kinda afraid my betta will end up eating the snail's food....lol.)
And please don't say that snails are awful. I've had them in the past and they are just about as much fun as the fish are. SO cute too! Thanks.
Hello. I havent been on these forums for a long time (Since my last betta passed away) but I'm glad I returned. Awesome discussions that I am reading here.
I have had a mystery snail for over a year now. What I have learned is that this guy is incredibly hardy. Me and my girlfriend call him superman or the flash because he does the craziest things. I watched him climb up my tank wall, somehow climb onto the top of one of my plants off of the wall, then jump off of the plant to get on top of my boat decoration. He is so cool!
To try and answer some of your questions:
1. It is always good to acclimate any fish or inverts to your tank because the journey from their birth to your home aquarium has been a long and bumpy ride. I floated mine for 30 minutes then placed him on the gravel using my hand. He started moving around right away.
2. I cannot answer this because I have no idea and would like to know myself. His shell has been fine and looks the same as it did a year ago. The only thing I can say is I use Prime water conditioner and it might have an effect on him but I have no idea.
3. My snail is a great scavenger, like my corydoras, and eats up whatever he can find. I have been reading a lot about their diet lately and what you can feed them and I've found that they will eat most vegetables but you do not have to feed them that to survive. They eat microscopic vegetation and algae that is already caused by the living aquarium. I found a great website with tons of info that would be a good read if you are still interested.