Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2010, 01:44 AM   #1 
XrAdEr

Which fish for a 5 Gal Tank?

Im going to the pet store in 2 days and im wondering what fish can live with my Betta? Its alone in a 5 gallon tank filtered nicely w/ a heater that keeps the temp at around 79-82 degrees. Thanks!
XrAdEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:17 AM   #2 
caroro

Unfortunately with a 5 gallon tank, there's not much that can live with a betta. You'd have to have at least a well-planted 10 gallon for everyone to be comfortable. The only things that can be with a betta in a 5 gallon are maybe a few shrimp and critters like that. But, with a 10 gallon you can comfortably have guppies, cories, and/or mollies. You'd have to make sure your betta will tolerate them though. The majority of bettas I've owned were okay with guppies, but sometimes they're not. Also, with guppies and mollies you'd have to be sure to either not keep males and females together or have a back-up plan for the babies. You can get over populated very quickly.
caroro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:32 AM   #3 
XrAdEr

Oh..think i can fit like 1-2 guppies in the tank..?

This is the tank i have

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aqua...-Pets/12177653
Old 07-07-2010, 02:36 AM   #4 
caroro

Sure, but imo guppies need to be put in groups of at least 5. If the males don't have females, they can sometimes get nippy. The females are okay though, but with my betta, he sometimes mistakes the bigger girls for female bettas instead haha. But this is why they need alot of room and a well-planted tank. Even the most peaceful betta can have cranky days. Those days are more frequent when they have less room.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:38 AM   #5 
XrAdEr

Oh haha xD How many do u think is the max for my tank? its pretty well planted w/ live plants
Old 07-07-2010, 02:46 AM   #6 
caroro

Based on the rule of thumb for 1 gallon per inch of fish I would say for a 5 gallon you can only have 3 guppies. However, this is not the minimum for guppies, and when it comes to bettas, I like to give them extra room for themselves. Bettas like to have their own space, so I would give them alone 4 gallons of water; that's 2 gallons per inch of fish.

Point is, if you put guppies OR mollies in a 5 gallon tank, NO ONE is going to be happy. You can't even put cories in a 5 gallon tank and it being happy because cories are extremely social and active fish that like to be housed with at least 3 of their own kind with ALOT of swimming room.

In my opinion I don't think you should put anything with your betta in a 5 gallon tank. I think you should get a 10 gallon instead. Your betta will love the extra room.

I feel your urges though. That's why I have a betta in a 55 gallon tank with ALOT of other fish. I wish I could put other fish with my divided 10 gallon, but their own 3 gallons each is not enough room for other fish.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:32 AM   #7 
XrAdEr

Oh Alright thanks for all ur help ;D
Old 07-07-2010, 08:06 AM   #8 
fishfin

Right now I have a 5 gallon (20 litre) tank that is home to my Betta AND a female Mollie. They actually get along very well and are often found resting side by side. No tail nipping at all. I guess I am just one of the lucky ones!

I am picking up my 215 litre tank on Friday so my Betta and Mollie won't know what to do with all that space!
fishfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #9 
TheJadeBetta

And it really depends on your Betta. I have a six gallon with a Betta and five shrimp, two ghost, two cherry, and one unknown.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:16 PM   #10 
bettalover2033

would these look nice in your tank?

or these??

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrAdEr View Post
Im going to the pet store in 2 days and im wondering what fish can live with my Betta? Its alone in a 5 gallon tank filtered nicely w/ a heater that keeps the temp at around 79-82 degrees. Thanks!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote