Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #21 
BettiBetta

No the grey color is called Blue.
My Blue oranda is not malnourished, she gets a variety of the best of fresh and frozen foods as well as several kinds of the best pelleted formulas and my aquarium lights are sun glo lights which are on about 8-12 hours a day.
Her bronze saddle on her back is a fault tho I think. But I don't care I love her anyway!
BettiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:10 PM   #22 
BettiBetta

Lion Mom,
Thank you! Her name is Blueberry.
I don't heat my goldfish tanks. They stay around 70 degrees all year long. I think for goldfish keeping a tank on the cooler side is better.
Goldfish use alot of oxygen and warmer water contains less disolved oxygen. Unlike bettas, goldfish cannot breathe atmospheric air, they can only breathe through their gills.

Last edited by BettiBetta; 07-03-2010 at 10:11 PM. Reason: boo boo
Old 07-04-2010, 01:04 AM   #23 
Amour

Wait so there's an actual color of goldfish that's blue? She's so pretty! Congrats. I didn't mean to imply that she wasn't taken care of correctly by you. I just thought that she might have had a bad previous owner or something.

Are blue goldfish expensive?
Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #24 
BettiBetta

Yes, a Blue Oranda is on the rarer side and they cost anywhere from $25-$30 around here. I had never seen one in person before, so when I saw her I snatched her up quite quickly! I also, add a special water condtioner to my orandas water. It puts vitamins and minerals that get depleted back into their water.
No, she was taken very well care of by her previous owner so she could be sold for a good price to me! LOL ;)
Old 07-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #25 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettiBetta View Post
Lion Mom,
Thank you! Her name is Blueberry.
I don't heat my goldfish tanks. They stay around 70 degrees all year long. I think for goldfish keeping a tank on the cooler side is better.
Goldfish use alot of oxygen and warmer water contains less disolved oxygen. Unlike bettas, goldfish cannot breathe atmospheric air, they can only breathe through their gills.
That I knew (about them not breathing air like bettas do)

Thanks for the info - we keep our house at 68F in winter. Too cold?

Min. tank size?

Always wanted a nice goldie, but when I researched on a goldie forum, they made it sound SO complicated, I said the heck with it!!!

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:42 AM   #26 
Amour

Aww no don't worry about hi-jacking the thread. Hehe. I learned a bit about goldfish and now when I get into a place where I can get a huge 40 gallon tank, I'm gonna get me one of those pretty blue goldfish.
Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:53 AM   #27 
wallywestisthebest333

I think I'm gonna get a 10 or 20 gallon one day and get a goldfish or 2! =] They're so pretty! WOW! You got a blue one! =D She's so pretty! I LIKE her saddle! =] If anything it makes her more magical! =]

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 07-05-2010 at 12:56 AM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #28 
BettiBetta

awww...Thanx guyz!
Goldfish are very hardy and easy keepers. IMO! ;)
10 gallons per fish tho, is the minimum of water per fish.
They are very friendly and will eat out of your fingers or hand.
They let you pet or pat them too.
65-75 degrees are just right for a goldfish. They can even live in freezing water up to 90 degrees. I have a pond too and some stay out there all year round.
The orandas are a bit more touchy. They do best in a steady temperature with not any great fluctuations.
I just love their cute fat faces and their little "top hat" they wear! :)
Old 07-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #29 
Lion Mom

Thanks so much for all the info, Betti!!!!

After looking at a zillion pictures - LOL - my personal favorite are the calico fantails. I have a 30 gal. sitting empty in the basement. Is that big enough for two or would it be better to just have one in that size tank?

Again, thank you SOOOOOO much for all your helpful information.

P.S. Do you make a gel food for your goldies? I read about doing that & was wondering how many people actually do that!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:45 PM   #30 
BettiBetta

Hi Lion Mom,
You could have 2-3 goldfish in your 30 gallon aquarium.
Remember goldfish like company of their own kind, can grow up to 12 inches!, can live for 30 years if taken well care of, and need a varied diet, including live or frozen live food as well as a staple pellet, fresh, spinach or red lettices chopped, varies worms, peas popped out of their skin, fresh orange, just the pulpy part and any sea food you would eat, shrimp, clams, oysters, and I catch mine flies. They love brine shrimp, bloodworms,and mosquito larvae.
I don't know of anyone that makes their own food but some books I have do have some recipes in them. The staple pellet like Aqueon, Omega One are already balanced so I just feed them cuz easier.
You will need a good filter, and extra aeration in the form of a air pump and air stone. I use an Aqueon 55 gallon in my 30 gallon tank.
Also, goldfish love live plants and live plants will help absorb some of the nitrates and compete with algae for nutrients.
I love goldfish, some of mine are over 11 years old.