Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2010, 09:28 AM   #1 
BettiBetta

Question Heaters

Is there a teeny, tiny heater that you can put in 1 gallon containers?
I have never heard nor seen such a device. If there is such a thing can you tell me where I could purchase some? Thanks!
BettiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #2 
Welsh

A hydor mini heater should keep a gallon tank warm, it keeps the water 3 degrees higher than room temp :)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:51 AM   #3 
Luchi

I got a little heater for my 3 gallon and I don't see why you couldn't put it in a 1 gallon. It sticks to the side of the tank or can be put underneath the gravel/sand or whatever you're using.
Luchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #4 
Welsh

There is also this little thing that you could use http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store....f3b9c05471.jpg
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #5 
Adastra

The best solution is to simply get a larger container. Generally, as long as you can submerge the heater up to the water line, it should be ok--but you should still monitor the temperature on an aquarium in which you are using a device that is not rated for the size of your tank.

The mini heaters are not adjustable, nor do they keep the temperature stable. If the temperature in the room changes, the temperature of your tank will still change. If your room is particularly cold--70-75 degrees, the heater will not heat up the water enough to get into the range of temperatures bettas prefer. They also are not very durable, and are generally cheaply made, ime.

I only recommend adjustable heaters with a thermostat, these are only a few dollars more and just a little bigger, but are much more useful and safer for your betta. If you cannot afford to upgrade your fishtank right now but want to give your fish more space, give yourself relief from constant water changing, and want to safely heat the water, I suggest getting a 2-4 gallon rubbermaid or sterilite plastic storage bin, they are only about $2-4 bucks, and come in clear plastic. They are safe to heat, and though you need to keep doing water changes, you will have to do them a little less often with a larger container.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #6 
BettiBetta

Thank you all so much!
That is going on my shopping list for this weekend!
BettiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #7 
vilmarisv

DO NOT get a Hydor Mini heater!
It will overheat the water in a 1 gal too much and it doesn't have a thermostat that will shut off the heater once the water reaches the ideal temp.
I hated mine because I had to plug and unplug it all the time and the sudden changes in temp will harm your betta.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote