Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2010, 10:02 PM   #1 
Jdh

Smile A few questions: Heaters, filters, size and community tanks?

Hi everyone! I just joined here this morning, and it looks like a great forum! We've adopted a Betta Fish recently (As well as spending about $120.00 on a tank/filter/food/air pump... :P), and have some questions regarding habitat.

My first question is: Is it normal for Bettas to avoid filters when the filter was just put in? I put a Filter into the 10 Gallon tank this afternoon, and our Male Betta seems to be avoiding/hiding from it. Has anyone had this happen before? Is this normal? Any tips?

My second question is, does anyone have any suggestions for what fish to keep with Male Bettas? I know that generally slow, bottom-feeding fish are preferred. I was hoping to make a community tank, and wanted to know if anyone had suggestions for some colorful or interesting fish that could coexist with Bettas.

We were also wondering if anyone had suggestions for good heaters? We're looking to get one for a consistent water temperature, but the ones at the local pet stores are very large and expensive.

Thanks for any help!
-Josh
Jdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:23 PM   #2 
Mizzle

in my experience, bettas do not fair well with air stones / bubble stones. They do not like currents, so most betta owners cover their filters output somehow. In a 10 gallon tank with a betta you could get some cory cats, some otos, or maybe some tetras. Also, you won't find a "good" heater for much less than 30 dollars in my experiences
Mizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #3 
Jdh

Would you suggest removing the air bubbes? The filter and Air Pump are seperate units in our setup.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:54 PM   #4 
wallywestisthebest333

Welcome to the forum!!! =D

Yeah remove the air pump if you can. =] I just bought an air pump but I only bought it to aid with the fishless cycle that I'm starting tomorrow. =]

What kind of filter do you have? you should make a baffle if you have a hang-over-the-back type filter! =] Here's a tutorial: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....ghlight=baffle

Here's a thread with info on sponge baffling: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....ghlight=baffle

You could try searching for an adjustable filter! =] then you wouldn't have to baffle anything! =]

I suggest the marineland stealth heaters. =] you can buy them at petsmart/petco and they seem really nice. I just set one up today in fact. =] I'd tell you how it's working but I broke my thermometer! XD
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:43 AM   #5 
MustardGas

The Marineland Stealth Pro heater is FANTASTIC! I got mine dirt cheap though, 'cause I work at PetSmart and I got 30% off. But it's still a marvelous heater for the price. I think ours were $35 CDN.
MustardGas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:15 AM   #6 
apex

Thanks guys! (I'm Josh's mom.)

Would the Marineland pro work for both 5 and 10 gallon tanks?
Wallywest- Thanks! I'll remove the air pump. I'll take a look at those tutorials, too. Jeff seems to be doing better with the filter, but I think he still dislikes the current.
apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #7 
Lion Mom

It is usually suggested to get a heater that is 3 - 5 watts per gallon.

So, if you have a 10 gal. tank a heater anywhere from 30 to 50 watts should be good.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #8 
Little Marlin

hello and welcome to the forum. in my reasearching of bettas , i have learned that cory cats,neon tetras( not zippy ones),platys,mollies, and guppies can be paired with them.Also apple snails ,mystery snails , and african dwarf frogs. but this is just what i have heard
Little Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:09 AM   #9 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Marlin View Post
hello and welcome to the forum. in my reasearching of bettas , i have learned that cory cats,neon tetras( not zippy ones),platys,mollies, and guppies can be paired with them.Also apple snails ,mystery snails , and african dwarf frogs. but this is just what i have heard
There is a LOT of differing opinions on what can and what can't live with bettas.

IMO/E, Mollies are HORRIBLE fin nippers (had some kill a large female angel once), platys may nip or be terrorized by a betta (my betta killed mine when I had them together), bettas will attack male guppies mistaking them for another betta due to the long colorful tail.

No experience with the others, but, personally, I think bettas are better off on their own. But that's just me!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #10 
Jdh

Thank you for the advice everyone! I'll keep that in mind with Mollies. Jeff (my Betta) seems to be very happy with his filter now- The water is very clear as well! :) However, when I feed him, he usually gulps down the flakes and then spits them back up immediately afterwards. Is this normal?