Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2010, 12:05 AM   #1 
FireKidomaru

Question heater questions

alright... i have the "small" kritter keeper (please dont yell at me, thats all i can afford and thats all my parents will let me get) i have 5 of them and i would like to get a heater for them especially in the winter (colorado winters can be COLD) what kind of heater should i get? it need to be somewhat affordable... thanks a bunch!!
FireKidomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:36 AM   #2 
mjbn

how big(Gallons) are the tanks? and alot of people keep betta's in kritter keepers. haha and just maybe a suggestion.. 2.5G at petco for $13. You could get a 10G for $10 since theres a sale on it, but it might be a little too much for you.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:49 AM   #3 
FireKidomaru

I think they 1.5 gallons
Old 07-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #4 
Adastra

Buying different heaters for each tank would be very expensive. You could always buy a space heater and heat one small room in your house up to around 78 degrees. This might be cheaper than 5 proper heaters.

I suggest if you cannot afford larger tanks, to get clear plastic rubbermaid/sterilite storage bins. You can get 5 gallon bins for only about $4, these are perfectly safe to heat, and very cheap. They are ideal for bettas because they are light and durable for water changes, and they are long and shallow.

The only heaters I can recommend are adjustable ones. They are only a little more expensive but they are infinitely more valuable--if the air is particularly cold, non adjustables will not get hot enough anyway. If you are ordering multiple heaters I strongly encourage you to shop online--it will be MUCH cheaper, http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com
offers flat rate shipping, and the adjustable 25 watt heaters are very well-priced, if you found these at a regular pet store you would pay $10 more EACH, so even with shipping, if you buy these online, you save approximately $40.

In the future, you should get two ten gallon tanks, divide one three ways and one two ways. This would be the easiest and cheapest way to maintain all your fish in a heated, cycled environment. You should save your money with this as your goal. I encourage you not to get any more fish until you can house the ones you have properly.

Last edited by Adastra; 07-02-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #5 
FireKidomaru

i do have a space heater i think i will try this first... right now its summer in CO so my room stays toasty for them and where can i possibly get the rubbermaid/sterilite storage bins? o and my parents wont let me get anymore until the ones i have die ( i know right, so optimistic -.- ) my fishies are very happy in theit homes and i care for them the best i can!
Old 07-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #6 
Adastra

You can get them at WalMart or Target or KMart, places like that sell them fairly cheap, make sure you get lids as well.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #7 
FireKidomaru

do the fish get good air circulation in these tanks... because i have heard they need good aircirculation....
Old 07-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #8 
doggyhog

I think a space heater might work.. Although it might fluctuate in the temps. If you DO get heaters, I recommend a tetra 2-15 heater. They are just great for a 1.5g.

I think it's totally fine to keep your bettas in 1.5g (Considering your circumstances) as long as you keep up with the water changes.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:07 AM   #9 
FireKidomaru

alright sweet! how much do you think is the tetra 2-15?
Old 07-06-2010, 04:56 PM   #10 
vilmarisv

The small KK are LESS than a galon, not 1.5. I kc I know bc I own one I use when cleanning my tanks.
You can fit a filter in it. I have placed the Tetra 2-15 in there before, you just have to cut a hole in the top so you can run the cord through it.
Still very small tank for a betta but much better that having it without the heater.
At Petco, the heater is $19 I think. Online, you can buy it for less, check Amazon.com
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote