Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2010, 02:40 AM   #1 
caroro

Unhappy Sick Betta

My very special betta, Clint Eastwood, is sick. I've had this fish for an extremely long time (years and years) and I have never had an issue with him before, but I really don't want to see him go now. He's very special to me, and is a great fish! I was hoping to breed him this winter so that I could have some of his children who possess his peaceful trait. I've never had a greater betta fish. I mean, when else are you ever going to find a great betta that is peaceful with gouramis and also possesses a beautiful spotted coloration? Not often, I'm sure. I wish he'd live forever!

But lately, I've been having an issue with ich in my 55 gallon tank that he lives in. I've been treating it chemically with no luck, so I was planning to go out and get some aquarium salt and do a salt-and-heating treatment the moment I get some cash. Problem is... I'm leaving for Chicago in a week and obviously can't take these fish with me (if any at all, I wish I could at least take Eastwood ). Because of my plans, I need to fix this issue NOW. I'm leaving my parents to care for my fish, and all they can do is feed them. That's it. they don't know ANYTHING about fish.

I'll cut to the chase. The past two days Eastwood hasn't been doing much; he's definitely not himself. Usually he'll swim back and forth in the fish tank, supervise the guppies, socialize with the gouramis, and occasionally take a nap under the driftwood he loves so much. But, these past few days he's been sleeping more and more. Now, since Wednesday, he's been doing nothing BUT sleeping it seems. Wednesday he was sleeping under his driftwood, coming up to breathe, then going back. But, since Thursday he has been sleeping in a corner as the top of the tank, so that he doesn't have to swim far. It has me worried, because this isn't like him at all.

I've also noticed that he looks different. I can't quite pick out what it is, though. I'd like to say he looks paler in the face, but looking at photos, that doesn't seem to be it at all. He definitely doesn't look as lively as he usually is.

I'm guessing because I've had issues with ich, all signs are pointing to that, but here's what else is going on:

Since Wednesday night he hasn't had an appetite. So, I went out Thursday and got some bloodworms to make him happy. He won't even eat that! This makes me frustrated. He's not eating at all, and I don't know what to do to GET him to eat!

Another thing he's doing is he's going up to breathe ALOT. Sometimes it'll be every 30 seconds, sometimes a minute and a half. But, what really makes me curious is that every time he takes a breath, bubbles will come straight out of his gills. I've seen bettas do this before, but it can't be normal. He's NEVER done this before.

Please give me pointers for this. I'd like to know what it is so that I can fix it now. He seems to be moving more now that I've put him in an emergency 2 gallon tank. No gravel for quicker clean-up and he has a silk plant for comfort. Temperature in the 55 is about 81F and the temp in this 2 gallon is 82F.

Here's a pic of him in his current state:

But here he is happy and healthy. I don't know, can you tell the difference looking at pictures?

Thanks to anyone and everyone!
caroro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:12 AM   #2 
dipsydoodlenoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroro View Post

But, what really makes me curious is that every time he takes a breath, bubbles will come straight out of his gills. I've seen bettas do this before, but it can't be normal. He's NEVER done this before.
I'm sorry I can't really help but I just wanted to assure you that the bubbles out of gills is fine; my betta does it sometimes; my goldfish in fact do it sometimes when they swimm though the bubbles lol.
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #3 
peaceablegarden

I can relate. If you look at my post... 11 days and still sick... our guys have some very similar symptoms. It has been nearly a week since he ate last and I've tried three different foods to tempt him. I'm trying a last ditch try with some IP meds. Nothing else has worked. Today is day 12.
peaceablegarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #4 
caroro

You know, I wonder if he's just old? He's about 2 (or even more) years old and he was a walmart betta. Definitely the oldest walmart betta I've ever had. Do you think I should try to do the salt and heating treatment, or will that only stress him out more?
caroro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sick betta fish