Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2010, 08:56 AM   #1 
Shmed

Question Hi! I'm New!

Hi everyone! I just got my second Betta, (not sure what kind,) and I have some questions. Please note that this is my first time taking care of a fish by myself.

Here are my questions:

Do you tink that a small fish bowl with a decoration in the middle is enough room?

What is a bubble nest?

Do you think feeding him a pellet in the morning and a blood worm in the afternoon is a good feeding habit?

Thanks, guys!
Shmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:06 AM   #2 
Betta Slave

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

It depends how big the bowl is. It kind of also depends what the decoration is, too. Bettas need a place to hide. How big is the bowl if you know and what is the decoration? I do not think that is enough. My opinion is the smallest tank for a betta would be 2.5 gallons. Some would say 1 gallon, but it's up to you. 1/2 gallons are definitely NOT good though. Bettas enjoy live plants and caves to hide in.

A bubblenest is basically just a collection a bubbles a betta blows. They blow a bubblenest when they're comfortable in their surroundings and are ready to spawn, if I understand correctly. Here is an example. They build their bubblenests into layers as well. This one is flat.

I would say a bloodworm once or twice a week would be sufficient, but I don't feed them bloodworms that often. Other members can help you with that.
I do know that you should feed two to four pellets a day, so maybe two in the morning and two at night.

Hope this helped!

Last edited by Betta Slave; 07-01-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:13 AM   #3 
Shmed

Talking Thank you!

This helps A LOT! I'm afraid i dont have any pictures of the bowl, but Phoenix (my fish) is relativly small and the decoration is a dragon. He has enough room to swim around the perrimeter and the botom and top but the dragon is fairly lardge. Thanks again!
Old 07-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #4 
Betta Slave

No problem :) If the bowl's not too small, you'll need a heater, by the way, unless it gets hot where you live.

Does Phoenix have anywhere to hide around the dragon?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:39 AM   #5 
Shmed

Smile

Ok, heater. Got it. Phoenix really doesn't have anywhere to hide. (Unless you count behind it)
Old 07-01-2010, 10:12 AM   #6 
Betta Slave

Bettas need places to hide. It makes them feel safe. It will also make Phoenix happier.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #7 
Shmed

Thumbs down Oy...

I thought perhaps feeding Phoenix two pellets in the morning and on in the afternoon would be okay? I just don't want to overfeed him. He didn't eat his breakfast this morning. I gave him one pellet because he spat out the blood worm I gave him last night so I assumed he wasn't hungry. I'll feed him another tonight. This is so CONFUSING!!!
Old 07-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #8 
TheJadeBetta

I feed mine two to four pellets a day: two for each female, three for each male, and four for my King. I usually give two to three frozen bloodworms on Wednesdays. I usually skip one day.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #9 
Shmed

Smile Ok!

I have a male so I'll feed him three a day!
Old 07-01-2010, 05:58 PM   #10 
Dead Sunlight

Hi Shmed!!!

Welcome to the delightful hobby of Betta fish keeping. Although a Betta can live (More like survive) in a bowl of water with no filter or heater, it will not thrive. (One of my males is all by himself in a filtered and heated 10 gallon!!!)
As for feeding, FEED WITH YOUR BRAIN, NOT YOUR HEART!!! A Betta's stomach is about the size of it's eye!!! It doesn't take much to keep these little fellas full. 3-4 little meals is reccomended over 1 large meal a day- Bettas have a high metabolism rate, which means they will need to eat often, but don't overfeed!!! I like to feed my boys 1 pellet for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. It is good to vary your Betta's diet (How would you like to eat Meatloaf for a whole year?) so that they won't get bored of eating one thing for a long period of time. Consider Bloodworms a "treat" when it comes to Bettas- Don't feed too often. 1-2 times a week will suffice. Fasting Bettas (Not feeding) keeps their digestive tract working smoothly. When I said that Bettas have a high metabolism, there was a drawback to that. If you forget to feed 1 day, don't freak out. He won't starve- These fish can go up to a whole month without feeding!!!

If you have any questions, contact me.

- Dead Sunlight
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote