Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #1 
Maryrox247

Exclamation Roger has BAD fin rot

Yes i know there is another thread about this... Well Roger has a BIG bubblenest ( so i know he is healthy besides the fin rot) in his 1 gallon minibow (filtered and looking for a heater it is about 75 degrees most of the time) I do 50% changes once a week. Here is the problem: He has bad rips in his tail and the big fin below his body that have gotten worse over three days. There are no sharp objects in his tank. The thing is just last night my dad started yelling at me saying i do "too much work on my tanks and im gonna kill my fish by doing it." And i know water changes are gonna be involved in his treatment and he is gonnago crazy by me doing them. So anyways how to i heal him and keep dad from thinking im gonna kill him?!?!?! (sorry for the partial dad yelling rant... heh heh)
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:35 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

In a 1g tank with filter, you need to increase your regular water changes to 3 times a week at 50% and make a 100% monthly-to prevent these type of issues.
To treat now-you need to start 100% daily water changes with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal for 10 days, it is easier to treat in a smaller QT bare bottom container.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:02 AM   #3 
Maryrox247

so do you mean i add one tsp. salt every day as well as water changes daily? Or add salt the first day and do the water changes daily?
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

You keep 1tsp/gal in the water at all times for 10 days along with daily 100% water changes. This is why I like to pre-mix my salt in a 1g jug to make water changes and dosage easier.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote