Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #11 
Terranariko

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
No offence taken ^.^
ok. =3

Anyway...how many shrimp or snails can I keep in a 5 gallon? =? do you guys know that?
Terranariko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #12 
JKfish

Well, I'm not sure, but in five gallons you could keep quite a few shrimps, because they are so tiny and don't make that much waste. As for snails, personally I'd only put one in there because they are pretty messy
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #13 
wallywestisthebest333

Well... I actually just did research on that but my research was for my rectangle tank kit with my specific filter. if you could tell me the name of your filter and the dimensions of your tank I'd be happy to calculate it for you! =] Or you could calculate it yourself at http://www.aqadvisor.com/

Just choose the shrimp and he snail that you want and add your betta to it as well and PRESTO! You got how many you can have in your tank.

They give meh advice on water change frequency though. I'd change more often. =] At least that's what people have told me. =]

When I get my tank set up, and planted I can have 5 shrimp, a betta, and a mystery snail and I'd be at 97% stocking.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #14 
Terranariko

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
Well... I actually just did research on that but my research was for my rectangle tank kit with my specific filter. if you could tell me the name of your filter and the dimensions of your tank I'd be happy to calculate it for you! =] Or you could calculate it yourself at http://www.aqadvisor.com/

Just choose the shrimp and he snail that you want and add your betta to it as well and PRESTO! You got how many you can have in your tank.

They give meh advice on water change frequency though. I'd change more often. =] At least that's what people have told me. =]

When I get my tank set up, and planted I can have 5 shrimp, a betta, and a mystery snail and I'd be at 97% stocking.
I most likely wont put more then 3 shrimp and only 1 mystery snail...If I decide to get a snail that is... .-. shrimps would be enough for me tho...

If only I can figure out what they eat... ._.

Last edited by Terranariko; 07-02-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #15 
wallywestisthebest333

sinking algae wafers! =]

Oh! And if you only get shrimp may I suggest lots? Adding five only took my stocking up 7%. the snail is what took it from the 87% I had with the 5 shrimp and the betta to 97%. Snails are REALLY messy. =/
If you get shrimp and decide you want colored shrimp I suggest going to aquabid. =] Also don't mix yellow and cherry shrimp. They can breed together since they're the same type of shrimp just different color variations. When they breed they don't make orange... they just make brown. =[
I suggest getting bee, cherry (or yellow. I'm in love with both and can't decide! >.<), blue pearl, blue tiger (If I can get some), or crystal reds. They're my favorites! =]

I'm thinking of talking to my local petstores, buying big shipments, and selling them to the petstores. This way I could have 1 of each kind! XD Unless I find a breeder on aquabid that has a few of my favorites and would like to send me a mixed bag. XD
I'm not getting any till I'm back at college though. =P too much stress about whether or not I'd be there when they arrive. =/

Fortunately I have the mystery snails planned though as I found lots of three. =] I can give one to my sister and keep 2 for myself, giving one of them their own 2 gallon. =]

I'm TOTALLY not obsessing over this at all. =P
Old 07-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #16 
wallywestisthebest333

having just a betta and 10 shrimp puts me at 93% stocked. =] Keep in mind that you should still do higher % weekly changes no matter what aqadvisor say though. =]
Old 07-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #17 
Terranariko

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
having just a betta and 10 shrimp puts me at 93% stocked. =] Keep in mind that you should still do higher % weekly changes no matter what aqadvisor say though. =]
Yeah I know...I do 50% twice a week for my bettas that I currently have...

Anyway...so for a 5 gallon I think I should put around 6-7 glass/ghost shrimp then? does that sound ok?...then again you have to know I keep my water still...so there wont be a filter...
Old 07-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #18 
wallywestisthebest333

Well I advise going to the link I sent you and entering in your info. =] It'll tel you exactly what you can have with your betta in your typ of tank with your type of filter. =] they have most filter brands in there. =]
Old 07-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #19 
Terranariko

Anyway besides that...

Does anyone have some comments?
Old 07-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #20 
Adastra

Well--I have heard of bettas getting stuck in a very similar ornament. If there are holes in that ornament that are too small for a betta, I suggest plugging them up with a bit of moss or aquarium sealant. Injuries from getting stuck in ornaments are usually life-threatening and rather gruesome, you want to avoid that.

I don't know that I would put a mystery snail in something smaller than a ten gallon--they are very messy and you'll see a lot of snail poo all over everything. Keep in mind that bettas will eat shrimp. I have tried ghost shrimp with just about every betta I've had--males and females--eventually I come home to the betta carrying a shrimp in its mouth like a dog carries a bone. Do not get expensive shrimp, and understand that they are prey animals for bettas.

I highly recommend doing a fishless cycle on this tank before you put your betta in--it will make things easier for you and safer for your betta.

The tank looks good--but I don't see a heater. I recommend getting a 25watt adjustable heater such as the hydor theo. These are not optional if you plan to keep bettas. Also, if the tank has an incandescent light bulb, make sure you exchange it for a compact fluorescent.

I highly recommend doing a fishless cycle on this tank before you put your betta in--it will make things easier for you and safer for your betta. Also, you're having trouble finding a specific color? I suggest simply talking to your pet store--specifically request a blue one and they'll probably be able to special order it for you. It's also a good idea to check your local craigslist or kijiji for people who are looking for homes for unwanted bettas.

Last edited by Adastra; 07-04-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote