Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2010, 04:30 PM   #21 
akjadestar

Man... I know what you mean with the stupid Penguin Power filter... My bio wheel won't turn at all and it's making this humming noise... I checked it was clean... I checked everything I could... This sucks ):
akjadestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #22 
BerkB33

You guys can let me have it...both barrels...when I'm done, but I have an undergravel filter with the charcoal and filter floss at the end of the filter discharge tube. So...I have mechanical, biological, and chemical filtration from the one unit. My "current" is stifled by the charcoal/floss cartridge at the end of the discharge, the tank is cycled, and me and the bettas are happy campers! It's worked very well for me. Btw, this is on a 10 gallon tank with four 2.5 gallon compartments.

I still wonder sometimes if the undergravel filter is the "ideal" choice. If under the gravel you're harboring the "good" bacteria...what's to say that under there you don't have some "bad" bacteria as well? That's a question I've always had...if somebody has the answer...please spill it!
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:01 AM   #23 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBettas239 View Post
I think sponge filter's are best for betta's. There is no chance of fin's getting tore. Sucked up or anything. To me the sponge filter's seem the best. Now you can get a regular filter like a aqua tech or aquaclear. And the sell a foam filter that goes on the inlet tube so it can't suck him up or tare his fin's. But you still have the advantage's of a sponge filter. With the advantage's of a aquaclear. That's what i have on all my tank's

SEE HOW I HAVE A SPONGE FILTER ON THE INLET TUBE SO IT'S LIKE I ADDED ANOTHER STAGE OF FILTRATION TO THE FILTER.
The box come's with a whole bunch of adapter's to it will fit any filter type...
This is what I did with my intake but I put the sponge on the inside of the intake cage thing and that solved my problem! =] slowed the flow WAAAAY down along with my baffle! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #24 
PwnCho

I do have a suggestion for a home-made filter that I will soon be trying myself, it looks like it should work. Has anyone tried this before, if so what are your experiences?

The video is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Wodw8n71Q
PwnCho is offline   Reply With Quote