Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2011, 12:28 AM   #1 
GreenTea

Thumbs up Water Changes

So I have two male bettas...One is in a 2.5 gallon, one is in a 1.75 gallon, both heated and they are healthy with live plants and much love.

I do a 100% water change on my 2.5 gallon every 3 days (except for two cups of the old water I cycle back in) and I do a 100% water change on my 1.75 gallon tank (except for the two cups) every other day.

Is this too often? Just right? It's very important to me that my boys have clean and healthy water. I always condition their water and once a month or so add a few granules of aquarium salt to their tanks just to insure they are de-stressed and functioning well!

Just looking to make sure I'm on the right path here. Thanks in advance.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:39 AM   #2 
JackisLost

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
So I have two male bettas...One is in a 2.5 gallon, one is in a 1.75 gallon, both heated and they are healthy with live plants and much love.

I do a 100% water change on my 2.5 gallon every 3 days (except for two cups of the old water I cycle back in) and I do a 100% water change on my 1.75 gallon tank (except for the two cups) every other day.

Is this too often? Just right? It's very important to me that my boys have clean and healthy water. I always condition their water and once a month or so add a few granules of aquarium salt to their tanks just to insure they are de-stressed and functioning well!

Just looking to make sure I'm on the right path here. Thanks in advance.
I usually don't do 100% water changes unless something is devastatingly wrong. 30-60% changes a few times a week is a better practice because it doesn't change water perameters so drastically

Edit: I have a 5 gallon and change 2 gallons at a time

Last edited by JackisLost; 03-12-2011 at 04:42 AM.
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:17 AM   #3 
GreenTea

In a filtered 5 gallon sure, but in smaller tanks with no filter, it is important to change the water more frequently because of ammonia build-up, esp. in a small tank like the 1.75 gallon, and I make sure the water is the same temp during and after the change.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #4 
Neelie

i use 2.5g for my 4 boys and i do water changes (100%) every 4-5 days. i dont do less than 100% as i find my boys to be more stressed with eg. 50% changes than just cupping them every 5 days and leave them be the rest of the time....

with a 1.75g i would change every 3 days (but really, no later...)
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Both tank without filters, correct......what kind and how many live plants and any tank mates like shrimp or snails.....

Depending on the number and type of plants even in unfiltered tanks...twice weekly 50% water changes should maintain water quality for both tanks...but this depends on the number and species of plants...not all plants filter the water the same way....

Can you post a pic...would love to see your Bettas and setups.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #6 
GreenTea

Here is Brutus, my giant suicidal maniac. (He recently jumped during a water change when I had a lid resting on top of his cup, and there was no noise or splash or anything, and he seemed better than he's ever been when he got back in the water. WTF!)

Old 03-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #7 
GreenTea

And this is Poseidon, who is very curious but still warming up to me, and who only finally flared yesterday. He was looking sad at a petsmart but he's looking better every day now. He's also brighter than Brutus and doesn't hate my camera or light the way Brutus does, so his pictures look a lot better. Brutus has 4 live plants and the tall grass is fake, Poseidon only has one and two fake ones.