Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #1 
Welsh

Do you leave algae grow?

Since my tank is on the windowsill it is starting to go green, its been there for about a month and it now looks like a paintbrush has splattered it lightly with paint lol, the shrimp or snails don't seem to be eating it but my question is as the title says, do you leave algae grow? I suppose it would give a more natural look to the tank but is there any point if the inverts aren't eating it ?
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:36 AM   #2 
Alexanderismylife

Well I always scrub it off with a algae scraper....but I only house my bettas alone since I don't have very good luck with tankmates! So since you have invets I'm not sure if you should leave it or not! So I guess I'm not very much of a help lol!
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Shrimp and snails don't eat every species of algae and soon your tank will be covered sitting in the window, you may want to move the tank and keep the algae so that you can see in the tank.
I keep some algae in my tanks and I like the look of it, but I also keep it so that I can see in my tanks and I keep it off my plants, on the rocks and wood I let is grow to a point because I do like the look of some types.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #4 
Welsh

I was hesitant to scrape it off because I see them scaling the walls all the time but it looks like I get to use my magnet cleaner for the first time now lol

The only reason the tank is on my windowsill is because I don't have a heater for the tank yet, I'm planning on getting one for the winter :)
Another question about the shrimp, why aren't they very red? I ask this because they are supposed to be Red cherry shrimp and they look more white than anything lol. Granted some are young but the older ones surely should be a deeper colour
Old 07-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

The females are a darker red and the males and young shrimp are a lighter faded red. If they are big and faded red color they are most likely males.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:12 PM   #6 
Welsh

Knowing my luck they are all males and thats why their not breeding lol. I do see one dark red one but she often hides.

Thanks for helping me yet again lol
Old 07-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #7 
Welsh

Is this a breeding saddle? I just looked at the biggest female and noticed this green thing which wasnt there before
Attached Images