Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #1 
akjadestar

10 G divided tank?

Well, Venus has passed away.. And now my parents said once schools over, (since they're all paranoid with my final exams and don't want me to get distracted) I can get three bettas. I plan on getting two males and one female. I already have a 2 gallon tank that I'll use for the female. Anyways, I also have my 3 gallon Venus was in, and I would put a male in there, but then I'd still need one more tank, so I found a solution where I won't have to buy new tanks, just a lot of decorations and do some research, but I think it'll pay off.

My sister has a 10 gallon tank that used to have a lot of guppies in it but so many have died now there's only one left. So I offered to her that she could have my 3 gallon with all the decorations to put her guppy in if I got the 10 gallon. She was all for that idea because she's always been really envious of my tank. So, I get her 10 gallon now, and I really wanna divide it for my two future males. So I have so many questions about dividers. Like, if you have one, do you need a separate heater, filter, and thermometer on each side? And where do you buy them, and is there non see through ones, so that the bettas aren't intimidating one another? Thanks ;)
akjadestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #2 
SaylorKennedy

Ah, sounds like a good plan. No, you do not have to have a seperate filter or heater. As long as the water can travel through the divider, it's fine. You can buy a divider at Petco or Petsmart. I've never found bettas seeing the other bettas a problem, eventually they will get used to eachother and won't care as much.
You could also save some money and make your own.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/
All you need is plastic mesh, (I just bought some in the stiching aisle at Walmart, several sheets for 1.97) and report binders. :)
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #3 
akjadestar

Hmmm... I never thought of using plastic mesh. I did a bit of research and thought the only options were a glass one, which would mean two heaters and filters, or net, which just didn't seem like a good idea to me. So that's really good... hmmm should I have the filter and heater both on the same side, or the filter on one side and heater on the other?

Also, I'm planning some of the decorations.
I'm thinking on one side I'm gonna put this bridge and this pretty decor and then a variety of silk and live plants, as well as moss on the bottom and maybe a couple ghost or cherry shrimp? And on the other side, exactly the same, only no bridge, and a waterfall cliff decoration and then live plants and silk plants, maybe some live bamboo and then moss and shrimp. And river rocks as the substrate (:
Old 06-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #4 
SaylorKennedy

Yep, they're a cheap way to divide. :)

That sounds like it's going to look nice. Shrimp are excellent tank mates, but be warned, your bettas might make a snack out of them. That's fine though, lol. With bamboo it only likes the bottom of the stem wet. You can't put the whole thing in water otherwise it will rot. So just make sure you have anything above the leaves out of the water.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:05 PM   #5 
Adastra

SK is definitely right about the bamboo, many stores sell a variety of plants as if they were aquatic when they are actually not. Bamboo is a major culprit along with ribbon plant, brazilian sword (peace lily), purple waffle, and mondo grass. I used the craft mesh and report cover binding technique to divide my tank--I love the results. I put the filter and heater in the middle so that the spray bar from the filter would disperse the heat, then I put a thermometer in the section that gets the least amount of current.

Here's mine:

It has since gotten more plants and I've added a background. I just like that picture because the boys are nesting away~ :)

Last edited by Adastra; 06-21-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #6 
akjadestar

Not long ago I was putting together how much this tank would cost, with the lights and filter and decorations and plants... It was gonna total up to around $300... for a 12 year old like myself that is WAYYYY too much. So, I was looking through Craigslist and guess what I found. A 14 gallon tank, comes with lid, light, filter, and a few decorations, for only 10 bucks! I'm thrilled, I'm not for sure getting it, I need to ask my parents, and they usually don't like me ordering stuff online, but if they can get it, that makes it so much easier... That takes off like, 70 bucks that I could have spent...! And the bettas each will get two more gallons of space (:
I'm so excited, if I can get it, that means all I need to buy, is the fish, plants, gravel, a few other decorations, divider, and probably a new heater since mine isn't the best heater in the world, it's 2-15 gallons and barely heated up my 3 gallon, let alone a 14 gallon. So I'm really really excited! Now I'm thinking about what fish to buy... I really want a double tail... and if I can find one, a butterfly. And then maybe a crowntail. I'm also not so sure if I'll be getting a female anymore... I don't know why, I think it's cause I'm gonna feel tempted to try and breed her with one of the guys. And I think with even two, my hands will be full. I'm so excited!
Old 06-25-2010, 09:53 PM   #7 
dukie1346

Everything sounds great :)

Hope everything goes well with getting the tank. I can tell you are real excited about this. Congratz on finding the 14g tank!
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #8 
akjadestar

Thanks, now to just make my parents agree! I have a question though, it's something I realized that I've been kind of uneasy about... With a divided tank... they're sharing the same water... So if one gets sick, the other would catch it's disease too... and I am just so bad at finding out if my betta is sick until it's too late, so before I even realize I need to quarantine it, the other might get sick too.... :/
Old 06-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #9 
Lion Mom

That is certainly a risk with divided tanks. Another thing - when I first started keeping bettas a couple (or more) years ago, I did the divided tank thing for some. In my experience the bettas in individual tanks seemed to have longer life spans. I came to the conclusion that the constant stress of having a neighbor probably had something to do with it.

Don't know for sure, of course, but that's what I think.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #10 
akjadestar

Yeah... I think I might just buy one betta to have in a 10 gallon, I also figured out, that on Craigslist, I looked at the persons phone number and it's not my area code, so they probably have the same city name, in a different country... Too bad...

Anyways, I might do a 10 gallon tank for each fish, look what I found on Kijiji... I think it's 10 gallons what do you guys think?

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-pets-acc...AdIdZ213484470

Last edited by akjadestar; 06-26-2010 at 11:54 AM.