Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #1 
JBug

Question Getting new tank; new to this all!

Hello peeps. I am new at all this. When I was younger I had my fish and tank with everything. Unfortunately its been years since. One of my best friends got me a blue and green betta. (Pics soon) He is gorgeous and I would love to make him happy as ever. I just today ordered him and 5gl tank. I wasn't sure about it and I want to make sure he lives then I might look into getting a splitter and another fish or something. This is the link to which I bought the tank. Yes, its Wal-mart. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aqua...-Pets/12177653 Well here are some of my questions.

-What are some great plants that aren't live to put in that wont harm Wall-a-beee? (my Betta)

-If I wanted to get a splitter could I have Betta on one side and puts other fish on the opp side that dont need water conditioner? I know they all need some kind of stuff.

-Are basically any decorations OK for Bettas?

Please help as much as you can! Post pics and everything. I love looking at others aquariums!
JBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:44 PM   #2 
TheJadeBetta

-What are some great plants that aren't live to put in that wont harm Wall-a-beee? Any silk plants could work.

-If I wanted to get a splitter could I have Betta on one side and puts other fish on the opp side that don't need water conditioner? Every fish needs water conditioner. I wouldn't split the tank.

-Are basically any decorations OK for Bettas? Any that don't have sharp edges.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:57 PM   #3 
JBug

Thanks! :]
I was just wondering though,
Why wouldn't you split the tank?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #4 
TheJadeBetta

Well, I guess you could you split it.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #5 
Lion Mom

I have that tank and LOVE it!!!

Yes, ALL fish need water conditioner.

Personally, I wouldn't split it, but, then again, I'm not a fan of split tanks. Just too many risks involved, IMO (too much stress, easy spread of illness, etc.).

If you want a second betta, why not get another one of those tanks? That is a TERRIFIC price, IMO!!!

BTW, WELCOME to the forum!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #6 
JBug

Well Im not 100% sure I even want to split. I might get a small 1 or 2.5 gl for my second one if thats what I end up doing. And yes, I know all fish do need conditioner. I love the price for also. :] How does it all work for you? Everything ok??? Im worried it will arrive shattered lol. I did a site to store ship just in cause, I really hope it doesnt haha. Well keep posting stuff! I need all the help I can get for a while til I get the hang of it. Also, Wall-a-beee wouldn't eat this morning when I fed him. Made me scared cause when I was little I couldnt seem to keep fish long. Im hoping this isnt as bad!
So is there any food you suggest besides HBH Betta Colorbright and this little navy bag (I believe its Hagen?)?
And, yes, I know the sticky already answered that but I wanted to ask about it. Maybe you have some input?
Old 06-30-2010, 11:14 PM   #7 
JBug

Ok so another thing also, I just found this book. Opinion on it?? <br>Think its true?? <br>Its $15 that Im not sure I want to trust. Think its true???<br>http://www.bettafishcenter.com/bcme.shtml?hop=mikeylikes<br>
Old 06-30-2010, 11:30 PM   #8 
metalbetta

...I think I want that tank. lol
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:24 AM   #9 
JBug

Lol yeah, I cant wait to get it!!! It said it wont get to the store until the 13th of july to the 19th!! Im so bummed haha. I want it!! :D
Old 07-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #10 
Luchi

Your new betta will be so happy in that nice tank! They love lots of space! And if you have a male betta, it's going to be very territorial and claim everything in the tank as its own.

When I first got my betta I tried to get him a tank mate after I had already had him for a while and he was not happy about that and they had to be split up.

For plants, just be careful it's very soft. I had one silk plant that tore my little guys fins. Also, make sure you get a hidey cave and places to hide. They love that! Especially when they see you, they love coming out of their hiding places as if to say "SURPRISE".

Having a betta is truely a great hobby and you'll be so suprised how easy it is to love a fish. I've had my little one over a year now and he's no different than my dog to me.

Their maintenance and tank decorations are so fun!!! Good luck!
Luchi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decor, new tank, plants