Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2010, 03:47 AM   #1 
caroro

Exclamation Not good, not good at all!

A few days ago I wrote about Eastwood's diminishing health. I had an outbreak of ich in my 55 gallon tank that he is (was) housed in, and he got hit the worse. He won't eat, not even his bloodworms. He's taking deep gulps of air and blowing bubbles out of his gills, but of course he wasn't showing any white spots from ich. He wasn't even iching like my other fish were.

Unfortunately I had to leave for two days for my great grandmother's funeral, so I of course wasn't able to treat him or keep an eye out. My aunt took care of my animals, but she doesn't know anything about fish other than how to feed. As a result, Eastwood didn't get any treatment at all. He didn't get ich meds and daily water changes (because he's now in a ~1.5 gallon tank and seriously needs help).

Of course, I got home and saw him and he's so bad now... I wouldn't be surprised if I lose him tonight, honestly. He's FINALLY showing visible signs of ich. He's got shiney white all over his gills, which are swollen. I have a feeling he's gulping air and forcing it out of this gills because it relieves some pain he's feeling. His caudal region is swollen, which I have a picture of below. He hasn't eating is almost a week now.

If anyone can give me some last resort methods to saving him, please let me know! :(

I never thought I'd be so close to a fish. I bought him from walmart two or three years ago, I'm surprised he has lasted this long. He has always been a great fish, so peaceful and kind in a way. Who thought a betta could be kind and peaceful? It's what I love the most about him. I was planning on breeding him this christmas. I want to have more of his peaceful, spotted, and beautiful babies. :(

Here are pictures of his current state:

swollen caudal and gills

ich on gills (plus paleness)

more BAD ich on gills

I feel so guilty and bad for him. I wish I could do more. Should I make an emergency trip for aquarium salt or something else? I literally only have $12 at the moment...
caroro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:58 AM   #2 
caroro

New picture:
more ich on swollen gills

Old 07-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

What kind of treatment have you done so far?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #4 
frogipoi

frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:23 AM   #5 
caroro

I've been doing chemical treatments with QuICK Cure for ich and velvet for the past week or so. My 55 gallon is cured already, but he's still getting worse.

I tell you, this is the worse case I've had in years. When it started in my 55 gallon it was sudden and unexpected. The first sign was the blue gouramis scratching themselves on the filters, but no white spots on anyone. The next morning I wake up and the dwarf gouramis' faces are entirely covered in ich. It continued getting worse for a few days after treatment, but then it died down and I ended up losing 2 dwarf gouramis to the outbreak.

I hope Eastwood will pull through this, but he's not going to have a fighting chance at all if he doesn't start eating :(

I have a question. I read somewhere than if you are in a tight bind and are without aquarium salt, it is fine to use kosher salt because it doesn't have iodine in it. Is that true? My wallet is entirely empty now, but if I need to get true aquarium salt I'll wash a few dogs or something. That is... if you think I should do a salt-and-heating treatment. Will that stress him out more than he already is?
Old 07-05-2010, 11:44 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like stress started the outbreak from having to many different species of Anabantoids in the same tank, good thing you had a back up plan with the 1.5g tank.

I would treat in the 1.5g with heat (82-86F) and kosher salt 1tsp/gal and make daily 100% water changes for at least 3 days past the last day the ich was seen on the fish.
I like to pre-mix my salt water in a clean 1g jug to make dosage and water changes easier.
Watch the fish when raising the temp and using the salt-some fish will not tolerate high temps or salt.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:58 AM   #7 
caroro

What do I use to raise the temp? My heater isn't one of those adjustable ones. How quickly/slowly do I raise the tempand how long do I keep him in the salt before I put him back in freshwater? Sorry, I've heard of this type of treatment before, but I've never done it. Never had ich this bad.

The betta and blue gouramis have never had an issue with each other for the months and months I've had them, but the dwarfs were new. I'll find a new home for them if they're causing stress.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:12 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

You keep them in the salt water for at least 3 days past the last day you seen the ich on them and you still need to make the daily 100% water changes to manually remove the parasite from the water. This is why I like to pre-mix my salt to ensure correct dosage, use too little and you can create resistant parasites.
Temp-if you don't have the proper heater then just keep the temp as high as the one you have will go.

Stress happens over time
Old 07-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #9 
caroro

Okay thanks, I'll try it. I hope it works D:
Old 07-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #10 
caroro

So a few hours ago I did a 100% water change, added salt, and put the betta in the tank. He seemed stressed the first few minutes, but now he's settled down. He seems more alive and active than he was before though. He's actually swimming around the tank, top to bottom and around. He surprisingly already looks at least 30% better than he was. I didn't think he had a chance, the way he was before, but I have hope now!

I tried feeding him a few minutes ago, and he actually swam up to the food with interest. He didn't eat, but it's still a really good sign. I hope he's cured before I leave for Chicago this Saturday. Or better yet, I wish I could take him wish me.

I have a cup of freshwater ready for him in case he shows more signs of stress, but for now he's swimming around mostly like his old self. He still looks pale and sick, but his eyes look bright and alive again.

Thank you for the tips. I was very close to just putting him out of his misery.

Tags
betta, gills, ich, sick betta