Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #1 
nacho

Lots of java moss in a one gallon bowl

Hi all,

So, I'm just throwing some ideas around in my mind, thinking about getting my one gallon tank filled with life. I was thinking it would be cute to have a bunch of java moss, which (correct me if wrong) should make water changes fewer and farther between than if no plants were in the tank.

Is it odd to have only plants inside a bowl? The only animal I would put in it would be ghost shrimp, but they are sensitive to temperatures and all. Not to mention, neither the Petsmart or Petco nearby seem to ever have those in stock. I am not confident about putting animals in it. Perhaps a snail? However, I am not too fond of snails. Anyway, I just kind of regurgitated what's been on my mind here. It would be nice to hear opinions!

Thanks for reading,

n
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #2 
akjadestar

A one gallon isn't big enough for ghost shrimp, and also the moss and live plants sort of filter the water, so the water changes would be a LITTLE less frequent, but still with a bowl that small you need to do water changes every few days.
akjadestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #3 
nacho

Hm, well I can safely scrap the shrimp idea then. If I do follow through with this idea, a source of ammonia for the plants would be nice.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I have several 1g container that have my overflow aquarium plants in them and I have never changed the water, just a top off with water as needed, all kept in indirect sunlight and all growing nicely, not even any algae
IMO-a couple or three ghost shrimp would be fine and as long as you had plenty of moss you may not need to make many water changes as long as you didn't feed too much because the plant will use the ammonia before it can harm the shrimp and this in turn will keep nitrate close to zero too and shrimp can be pretty sensitive to high nitrate, as long as the temp stayed in the mid 70'sF the shrimp should be fine but may not reproduce, however, at least 1-2, 25-50% water changes a month would benefit the plants and shrimp.
Or what would be neat too..... a fresh water clam and moss......
Sounds like a neat idea...look forward to some pic......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #5 
nacho

Thanks OFL, it's cool to know you keep planted one gallons. I actually have no problem at all changing the water frequently. At the least, I would do a rather large water change weekly along with my 10 gallon. The plants should act as a natural filtering system, if I have plenty of them.

I have two differing opinions on keeping ghost shrimp. I guess the main issue is whether the plants can maintain a good water quality, which OFL assured me does happen. The other issue is the space available in a small tank like mine. I hope that by adding lots of java moss and one java moss ball, there will be a considerable increase in surface area. I would not add more than 3 ghost shrimp in the tank.