Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #1 
Lion Mom

TOO many water changes????

I tell ya - I am CONFUSED as to what is the best water change routine!!!

Personally, I do one 50% w/c with gravel vac a week on my filtered, heated, cycled betta tanks (3 gals., 5 gals. & 10 gals.) All tanks have java moss, java fern & a moss ball in them.

I read on here two or MORE 50% or 100% changes are needed.

THEN, at Betty Splendens, they have THIS to say:

Make sure your betta is kept clean. A betta stirring up his own feces as he swims is just disgusting. Half-gallon containers will have to be changed twice a week. Gallon containers can go as far as once a week, and the larger the container, the longer the interval between changings. If the betta is kept in a 5+ gallon container with adequate filtration, normal tank maintenance of once a month or so is fine. Of course, if you see an accumulation of uneaten food, you should change his water sooner.

Be warned, there can be too much of a good thing, and changing the water too much can weaken your fish, forcing him to have to adapt and re-adapt to his conditions.

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...?articleid=718

I have a couple boys pushing 2 years of age doing the once a week thing, but now I wonder if I'm doing things correctly!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #2 
Lion Mom

BTW, each tank ONLY contains a single male betta - no tankmates & no divided tanks.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:04 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

I can't speak for betty splendens but I know that if I let my tanks go longer than a week without cleaning I start seeing serious issues in my fish.

If your tank is cycled I guess theoretically you would only need one water change a month or so but IMO that is ridiculous. Not only does doing water changes help lower the amount of nitrates in a cycled tank but it also replenishes the oxygen in the tank, a filter also does that but IMO you can never have too fresh water.

Doing 100% changes is NECESSARY on an uncycled tank. Without it eventually the ammonia will build up and kill your fish. The only time you should do 100% changes are if you have an uncycled tank. It does suck that the fish must re-adapt to his tank after every water change but that is the price you must pay for having uncycled tanks.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #4 
Lion Mom

I agree with you - I NEVER, EVER go more than a week without doing my water changes & gravel vacs!!! Not on my betta tanks, not on my cichlid tanks or my community tank!!!

I also agree that a non-cycled, non-filtered tank WILL need a ton more water changes.

It's just all confusing when you start reading all the different betta (and fish in general) sites. :( Gosh, sometimes I think fish keeping was easier BEFORE the internet - LOL!
Old 07-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #5 
Lion Mom

AHH-HA!!! Found THIS right here on this site & it sounds like I HAVE been doing it correctly all this time!!!!

1) Weekly Water changes. A filter cannot take out everything in the water. Would you like to live in your own poop? This is why bettas need regular water changes.
A betta tank should never need 100% water changes unless working with medications. Too drastic of a change in water params can cause illness and death to any fish. Bettas can withstand more than the average tropical fish, and 50% changes are good for them if done frequently enough. The smaller the tank size the more frequent the water changes should be done. Anything under 2.5 gallons should have a 50% change every other day. 2.5 and more should have 50% changes at least twice/wk. If a filter is running in the tank, 50% changes once/wk are usually plenty.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058
Old 07-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Well I don't entirely agree with that either. If the tank is uncycled it needs 100% changes. Period. If you don't, eventually the ammonia will build up.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #7 
FloridaBettas239

I have 13 tanks from 10, 29, and 55 gallon. Each tank can go for longer than others the big 55 of course can go for a month without a problem. My 10 gallon can go 2 weeks and my 29 could go 3 or 4 without any problems but I also have nice filters on them and bottom feeders an alge eaters so there's a fish for each part of the tank anyway.

I clean everyone of my tanks every 7 days I use the vacume and do 25% water changes every week. then once a month I will take everything out and do a 25% plus scrub everything and I have yet to have a problem I have never had a sick tank or fish die.

Now as far as doing 50% changes every 2 days if you take to much water out to often you weaken the bacteria that kills ammonia and your fish has to keep getting used to the big changes. I think we people do the 100% changes everyday it's because there in small bowls and the fish adjust to the changes everyday or mabey he don't because he is living in non cycled water.

Now a gallon which I have 2 of one with a under gravel filter and the other that's just a gallon bowl no filter so on the bowl I do a 70% every 2 days by siphoning from the bottom so I remove the junk at the same time. Now the gallon with the under gravel filter I do a 60% every week and like I said have never had a problem my fish never look stressed or breathing heavy with there gills.

But one thing I've learned everyone is different you got to find what works for you and your schedule plus healthy and stress free for your betta.

Also the tetra program say to do a 20% WC every week for cycled tanks specially tanks without bettas. Because other fish are not as tough as bettas are.

Hope I could help let's see what everyone else says..
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:40 PM   #8 
vaygirl

I do 30% weekly changing and siphoning on my 10 and my 16 gallon. I do roughly 50% weekly changing and siphoning on my 5 and 6 gallons. All of my tanks are cycled and I test my params probably monthly? I'm almost always 0/0/5. Sometimes 0/0/10.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:05 AM   #9 
Amour

Hate to be off topic but I noticed vaygirl, that you have some fish named Larry, Bob, Daryl and Daryl. That's so awesome! I love the Bob Hope show. When I was young (I'm only 26 though actually hehe. I'm one of few young people that enjoy older shows more than new ones) my favorite guys were "Hi my name is Larry, this is my brother Daryl, this is my other brother Daryl." Hehe that's awesome!
Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:09 AM   #10 
Lion Mom

Amour, that was the Bob Newhart show & NOT the Bob Hope show - LOL!!!

Thanks for the opinions all - interesting topic, IMO.