Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2010, 03:01 AM   #1 
Owlets

Sudden fin clamping? :/

I noticed today that Roy has clamped part of his fins. He was fine the other day.
Here is a picture from about 2 days ago:

And here he is now:

Any ideas? What can I do to help him un-clamp? He's in a 3.5 gallon with a heater, and his water is currently at 75 degrees. I feed him 2 pellets a day, since he's teeny tiny. He's eating fine and doing all the things he usually does.

Please help~! Thank you :3
Owlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #2 
1fish2fish

His water needs to be warmer. It should not be less than 76* and 80* is better IMO.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I agree, temp needs to go up a bit,
Also, how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, additives used, filter, live plants, and how long have you had him in this set-up..
He is a very pretty male btw....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #4 
Owlets

Usually his water is warmer, and I turned the heater up earlier also :3
Water changes are usually 100% once a week, and sometimes a 25% in the middle of the week when I have time. The last water change was about 3 days ago. I use silk plants, and the tank has no filter as I can't find one small enough for his tank. I use water ager and a little aquarium salt when I do 100% changes.
He's been in this set up for about 2 weeks now.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:14 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

In a 3.5g tank without filter- I would increase his water change just a bit....I would do a 50% water only change and the 100% weekly to help keep high water quality to prevent health and fin issues, but overall your care sound good and he may be clamping due to that drop in temp, is he fine otherwise?

Long term salt is not needed especially in low doses, that can create resistant pathogen/parasite and when you need it for treatment it may not work as well, it can also affect kidney function and you can see bloat/dropsy for no reason due to organ shut down.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #6 
Owlets

He's definitely fine otherwise, being his curious self as always, which is why I was so surprised! I'll bump up his water changes and keep his water on the warmer side and see if that helps any.

And thanks for the info, I'll be sure to only use it when needed C: