Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #1 
thegameksk

Cleaning 5 gallon tank with root tabs in it

Hey guys. I have a 5g tank that I do a partial cleaning twice a week and a full cleaning once a week. I have a root tab in the tank my question is will cleaning be harder now with the root tab in it? Can I remove the root tab while I clean the tank? Thanks.
thegameksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Do you have a filter in this tank, what kind of plants and how many and what is in the tank livestock wise?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #3 
thegameksk

Yes there is a filter. It has 2 amazon sword plants and 2 bettas.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

With a filter and especially sword plants I would not do 100% water changes and disrupt the plant roots. I would do twice weekly 50% water changes and with your vacuum hover lightly over the substrate to get the debris without disruption of the plant roots once weekly with one of the twice weekly water changes. And if you added some more plants you could cut back to once weekly 50% water change.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #5 
thegameksk

Thank you for your reply.Here are pics of my tank. How many more plants would I need to cut back to one 50% change a week and what plant would you recommend? Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

So THAT'S what an amazon sword looks like in a tank! D8 I regret not picking one up today. =[

Glad you made this thread! =] I'm adding an anubias to my tank and wanted to know what I should do t clean it, though I won't be cleaning it until I get some fish in there! XD

I would also like to know how many plants I need to have to cut down to once weekly 50% changes! =] I'd love to have an easy water change schedule from the get go! =] and would it be easy to uproot and replant them in august? I've got a 5 hour trip to my college and apartment to make. =[
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Because of the shape of that 5g, more plants might limit the swimming space too much for the Betta...adding floating plant like water lettuce, a bit of moss on the bridge but- truthfully twice weekly 50% water changes are really going to help keep the fins nice and with the root tab those swords are going to out grow that space pretty fast too. Your tank looks really nice, I love the way it looks..good job!