Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2010, 11:25 PM   #1 
wallywestisthebest333

Exclamation For anyone cycling with Tetra Safe Start.

For anyone looking to try a fish-in cycle with Tetra Co.'s SafeStart please follow this link to a very important Q&A!

http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aq...safestart.html

It basically has a guy from Tetra Co. telling you what needs to be done and answers some common questions about SafeStart. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:45 PM   #2 
LucyLoofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
For anyone looking to try a fish-in cycle with Tetra Co.'s SafeStart please follow this link to a very important Q&A!

http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aq...safestart.html

It basically has a guy from Tetra Co. telling you what needs to be done and answers some common questions about SafeStart. =]
So I know you've read this link that you've sent but didn't you catch the 1.0-1.5 ammonia reading?
On my ammonia alert cling it says 0.5 is toxic.
>:( I refuse to hurt patriot. I really need this confusion cleared before I try anything.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E-those products are a waste of time and money....
IMO/E-it is best to keep the ammonia level 0.25ppm and less during the cycling process with fish.

And no water change for two weeks with ammonia level 1-2ppm IMO you are asking for trouble and risk of long term injury from scar tissue from the ammonia burns especially on the gills and secondary infection.
Some fish may be able to tolerate those level, but the delicate fins of the Betta will burn and then they may start to tailbite secondary to pain.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #4 
LucyLoofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
IMO/E-those products are a waste of time and money....
IMO/E-it is best to keep the ammonia level 0.25ppm and less during the cycling process with fish.

And no water change for two weeks with ammonia level 1-2ppm IMO you are asking for trouble and risk of long term injury from scar tissue from the ammonia burns especially on the gills and secondary infection.
Some fish may be able to tolerate those level, but the delicate fins of the Betta will burn and then they may start to tailbite secondary to pain.
thank you! :) i didn't see this post when I PM'd you.
sorry about the in-box spam.
I guess it's back to the grocery store shrimp method.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #5 
wallywestisthebest333

Unhappy

Sorry. <=[ I had no idea as I haven't tried to cycle it yet. I was gonna wait till genie got better. Glad I didn't make that mistake.

Thank you OFL for correcting this. =]

I'll try doing a fishless cycle with it using the information about the product in the e-mail.

Afterall, fishless cycling is supposed to imitate fish-in cycling anyway so I could just add ammonia to simulate adding a fish just like you do in an unaided fishless cycle. Things should just speed up compared to a regular fishless cycle if I use the TSS with ammonia instead of a fish right?

Anyone know of a good brand of ammonia other than ACE's? Maybe something I could buy at a supermarket?
All i need is a small amount to keep the bacteria fed and ACE apparently sells in bulk. =/

Edit: eh. I'm just gonna go to ACE anyway. =/

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 07-05-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:28 PM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post

Afterall, fishless cycling is supposed to imitate fish-in cycling anyway so I could just add ammonia to simulate adding a fish just like you do in an unaided fishless cycle. Things should just speed up compared to a regular fishless cycle if I use the TSS with ammonia instead of a fish right?

Edit: eh. I'm just gonna go to ACE anyway. =/
Found out using pure ammonia would possibly kill the bacteria. Guess I'll just add a chunk of salmon after I fill the tank with TSS.

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 07-05-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #7 
Adastra

I have cycled successfully with ACE hardware brand ammonia plenty of times. You simply need to make sure that the ammonia level stays around 4ppm. If you accidentally overdose ammonia it is easy to fix. Simply do a water change to get the ammonia level down again.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #8 
Cody27

I know this Thread is OLD, but, I just finished a successful fish-in cycling using TSS (Tetra SafeStart)! We conditioned our Marineland Eclipse Hex 5 w/Prime, waited one day and then added a 3.38oz bottle of TSS and our new male betta (Stormy). AND, as the Tetra Rep said in their "answers", we didn't do any W/C's for two weeks. During that two-week period, we did water parameter tests and everything was fine. Day after that "two-week period", we done a 25% W/C w/Prime added. Our water parameters are really great and so is our betta, Stormy.

Tetra (SafeStart) and API (QuickStart) make this stuff exactly for cycling a tank with fish inside. There was absolutely no reason for us to do the "fishless" cycling when these two products are sold for the purpose of fish-in cycling. However, I've read that the bacteria in QuickStart isn't nearly as good as in SafeStart..........just what I read.

Do it right and a fish-in w/SafeStart will work perfectly.
Cody27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #9 
jaysee
Reference Team

Yes the thread is old, but considering the negative sentiment expressed earlier it's a good thing that you posted your success. It works for LOTS of people and is a viable method of cycling.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:12 PM   #10 
givemethatfish

Wait. It says on that Q&A that "chloramines removers" kill TSS. How do you do a fish-in cycle in a tank without adding a dechlorinator for 7 days??
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycling, fish in cycling, fish-in cycling, safestart, tss