Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #1 
vanderdecker

Once again, a heater question

I have an Aquafarm, which has a 3 gallon tank. I've been using a Tetra H10 heater, mainly because that was the smallest heater with a thermostat they had in the nearby Petco.

But I'm wondering if this is overkill. To suck down 50 watts to heat such a small tank seems wasteful. I don't think I need to be worried about overheating, since it's thermostat controlled, but it also takes up a good amount of space (though, oddly, not as much as some 25 watt heaters I've tried/looked over).

The Aquafarm people have a set of different heaters they offer for use with the Aquafarm but I'm leery about something that doesn't cycle on/off to maintain a steady temperature.

We've been having some cold weather here in the Northeast (though thankfully we should be at the tail end of it) so I don't want to rely solely on ambient temps. Any thoughts?
vanderdecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #2 
shellieca

I'm not familiar with that heater but I have a 50W in my 2.5g tank. IMO, they don't use that much power & I'd rather have the peace of mind of an adjustable heater than not.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #3 
vanderdecker

It's not adjustable (can't set the temp) but it does cycle on and off to maintain 78 degrees.
vanderdecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

You're right to be leery of a heater that does not have a thermostat. I'm glad your non-adjustable keeps you temperature at 78*. You're lucky.

You understand that your heater is off more than it's on? It takes the same amount of power to keep your tank at 78* no matter how many Watts your heater is rated at....and that's not very much.

Last edited by Hallyx; 03-15-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #5 
FirstBetta

1+. The heater (preset or adjustable) only draws power when the thermostat turns it on when the temp goes below the set point.
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote