Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2010, 12:56 AM   #1 
Amour

Unhappy Question About Sleeping Bettas

Hey there! Amour with another betta question here.

Usually I'm at home at night and keep my betta's tank light on throughout the day, and he stays pretty active and happy in it.

Today was the Fourth of July as we all know, and our city puts on a huge beautiful display of fireworks which we attended. It goes on until about 11 at night.

We like to get there early, so we left at about 4 and turned off all the lights and Ninja Dude's light as well.

When we got home the first thing we went to do is check on him since we love the little guy, and something strange happened.

He was in his plants with his fins stretched out facing the back of the tank. This worried us because he looked like he was dead or something. But after a little bit, he sluggishly moved to the bottom of the tank with his fins clenched and just laid there for awhile.

It took ten minutes for him to even start moving around the tank, and during that time he wouldn't even be interested in us (he usually gets excited and flares and comes to the front of the tank when me and my husband come to look at him) or food for that matter, which is weird because he's a pig.

We were so worried because when we left him he was his usual happy self and when we came back, he seemed to be sick or something.

But eventually he started moving around a lot and started being interested in us, and enjoyed getting his nightly meal, even if it was a little late hehe.

We went outside to set off our little fireworks which we had purchased for the Fourth, and came back and Ninja Dude was his happy old self again.

What my question is, was he sleeping? And if he was, is it normal for him to be so sluggish after he wakes up? He seemed like he was really sick or something for like ten minutes.

Thanks for your advise in advance!
Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:00 AM   #2 
wallywestisthebest333

I'd like to know an answer to this too. Genie scares me sometimes like that. <=[
Ninja Dude sounds like a fun little fish! <3
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:03 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Did you turn the light on as soon as you cane in? If so, that's probably why he acted the way he did. They don't like to be in darkness then have a bright light turned on. Just like us! lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:30 AM   #4 
Amour

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
I'd like to know an answer to this too. Genie scares me sometimes like that. <=[
Ninja Dude sounds like a fun little fish! <3
Hehe Thanks! He is quite the spunky little fishie. We call him Ninja cause he's dark and he weaves in and out of his plants without even touching them like a ninja. xD

I never knew a fish could have such the personality. We really love him already even though we've only had him about two weeks.

At the store we were worried about getting him because he was in a tiny little jar with disgusting water and he just stayed at the bottom. My husband was "Are you sure this is the one you want? He looks like he's not going to live much longer." "But honey he's so prettyyyyy! *puppy eyes*"

And then we took him home, put him in a filtered tank with a heater, bought him some good pellets, and he's just the funniest guy ever!

Are your fish as spunky? :D

And dramaqueen that sounds like a possible reason. We did turn on the light right after we got in to check on him. So I guess in the future we'll just turn on our lights first and then a little later turn on his light.
Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:41 AM   #5 
nochoramet

Yes my fish ALWAYS do this when I come in at night and turn my light on! They act just like people do when they are suddenly awoken by a bright light. They act all confused and sluggish and clumsy. He was just sleeping, and you woke him up and confused him! Don't worry about it, like I said my 4 do it all the time.
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:34 AM   #6 
XrAdEr

Lol my fish isnt like that ;o

When i turn on the lights he gets all hyper and starts swimming to the top of the tank xD..i think he just wants food haha
XrAdEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:07 AM   #7 
dipsydoodlenoodle

He probably just took a little time to wake up properly since he was asleep.

My betta must have had a bad nights sleep last week as he flared at me when I said my morning hello; normally he gets really excited lol.
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #8 
dr2b

Sounds like Ninja Dude was sleeping pretty sound when you got home and then he was trying to wake up :)
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #9 
vaygirl

Yep, you woke him up. They don't like that. Lol! Think about it from our perspective. You're in your bed, it's all dark and cozy, and suddenly, bright lights and someone telling you they brought you dinner? :P I'd come up swingin'!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #10 
Sarada

I've never seen my guy sleep. Must be the same as my kids, they don't like sleep either.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote