Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2010, 02:49 AM   #1 
jmtriro01

Smile feeding my betta

hi guys! im a new owner of a betta here in the Philippines. he's been with me for two weeks already. i had him in a bowl at first but then i transferred him in a 5 gal tank last weekend.

that picture in my avatar is the first photo i took of him, it is not that clear since he was still in the bowl. i'll take some pictures again when i have the time and hopefully ill be able to get better pictures by then.

anyway, im really concerned about the diet of my betta (his name is Jake Sully, by the way). he won't eat any pellets or flakes. i cant find bloodworms or any other worms here in our place(and other types of food like baby brines, etc, only pellets and flakes are available). the personnel in my local petshop said that the betta that i bought is very picky because usually, they readily eat pellets and flakes. for now, i am feeding him tiny bits of fish that i bought from the wet market. i store it inside the freezer, and pinch a piece when its time for him to eat.

jake loves it, and he swims immediately towards the piece of fish once i drop it to his tank. although he is kind of weird because he wont eat it if it already touches the bottom of the tank. do you think i am feeding him enough? is he getting enough nutrients that he needs? he seems healthy for me since he loves to swim around and look at me when i come home and he makes his nest.

also, since i am in the Philippines, i am thinking that it is not necessary for me to buy a heater since the water in his tank stays warm all day the whole day (just saying)...

i really learned a lot eversince i started reading entries here. im planning to divide my tank soon.

thanks a lot!
jmtriro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:51 AM   #2 
BettiBetta

I know what you are going through. My betta wouldn't eat any pellets or bloodworms or flakes when I first brought him home. For a week I ran back to the stores and tried all kinds of different food for bettas. I went back to the store after a week and told them I thought he was going to die because he wouldn't eat. Then finally I bought a betta pellet by Aqueon and he ate those up as fast as I dropped them in the tank. Now I have 3 bettas and that's all I feed all of them. Aqueon pellets have shrimp in them and whole fish and they are suppose to be nutritious as well as palable to bettas. Anyway, I think the frozen fish would probably be good as a treat once or twice a week but to get the vitamins and nutrition they need I think a pellet would be better as a stable diet if you can find one he will eat.
BettiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:53 AM   #3 
jmtriro01

i dont think any of the pet shops here carry that brand. not so many people here are interested in bettas so there are limited choices of branded feeds for fishes.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #4 
BettiBetta

Smile

Hello,
Have you ever tried rolling some of the pellets in the pieces of fish for a few seconds. Then they would smell like the fish and your betta might eat them. Also, you want to get a pellet that the first ingredients are whole fish or seafood of some kind. Otherwise if it has alot of fillers in the pellet it's like feeding him cereal. Bettas are carnivorous so they do need alot of protein in their diet. The pellets tho would be nutritionally complete and supply your betta the vitamins and other nutrients he needs to be beautiful and healthy for a long time.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #5 
mjbn

Yeah id say try that with the pellet in the fish. make sure that it's not too much in one bite though and not to overfeed

Im filipino too:D
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #6 
BettiBetta

You both have beautiful, gorgeous bettas!
Old 07-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #7 
jmtriro01

that's a very nice idea! i'll try that later when i get home.

its nice to hear that there are other Filipinos here.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:36 AM   #8 
jmtriro01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbn View Post
Yeah id say try that with the pellet in the fish. make sure that it's not too much in one bite though and not to overfeed

Im filipino too:D

you're not here in the Philippines, right?

Tags
feed, food, new betta