Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #11 
FloridaBettas239

I understand about the other bettas getting sick form sharing the same water in a divided tank but I would rather risk a couple fish getting sick then living in a cup and when they ship other types of fish they run the chance of them getting sick they don't say well I'm scared that one pleco might get the others sick so let's keep them in a cup they just take the risk so the fish can be happy
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #12 
Lion Mom

Actually, they HAVE to take the risk with the pleco (and others) since they can't breath air from the surface.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #13 
FloridaBettas239

LoL I no pleco can't breath air from the surface it was a figure of speach but you took it to far. I meant like them fish can get all the other fish sick to so why don't they put each one in a gallon tank by itself that's like what there doing with the bettas yes it would cost to much to have each pleco fish in it own seperate tank but I had to clearafy thing since someone actually thought I ment put a pleco In a cup lol if someone is keeping fish and don't no you can't put a pleco in cup they don't need fish I was trying to say something to get people to understand. Do you no how many bettas die form the shipping and the cup deal so we lose a couple more but atleast they got a chance to make it and was in a big tank. The 55 that's divided up for bettas is so cool and brain the manager at petsmart said today that he has had bettas die but never lost them all or all of them got sick because one betta he has never had that happen plus its the chance you take just like putting all gold fish in one tank you take that chance but dont put the fish in a cup
Old 07-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #14 
FloridaBettas239

You know another thing with petsmart there is a huge sump in the back where all the water goes then threw all the bio balls and threw some other filtering and back to the tanks. Notice what i said, BACK TO THE TANKS. Yes when the manager took me in the back all the water from every tank ran to that one sump then got filtered so if the gold fish have a disease then that means the pleco, angel fish , bala sharks everything is in the same water.

So if there going to take that risk of everything getting sick off one fish. why cant they put bettas in a divided tank and take the chance, and let them be free. a 55 gallon divided up into one gallon sections would make of course 55 homes for bettas. thats all a pet store needs they dont need more than 55 bettas
Old 07-06-2010, 11:52 PM   #15 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Slave View Post
Good idea, I am with you, but are you saying that the bettas will arrive at the pet stores in 10 gallon tanks or something like that? The tanks could crack on the way to the store while they're being shipped. (I fully support this, but it's going to be hard.)
it will be way easier than trying to change the world.

also no way not in 10 gal tanks lol no way in the same tiny bags but when they get to their destination (pet store) have a big 55 gallon long breeder tank (maybe) and divide it up u know:)
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:54 PM   #16 
Betta Slave

Oh, ok, that makes more sense. :)

But I agree with everyone else- basically, if one fish is sick the rest will become infected, and the problem will get worse.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:14 AM   #17 
FloridaBettas239

If you read my post that's how it is already every bit of water from every tank goes to one place gets filtered and back to the tanks so if one gold fish is sick then there all exposed to it. So they do this with 10 dollar fish but they shouldn't do it with a 2 dollar betta I don't get what the big deal is. I don't just have one clown loach because he will others sick I take the chance and have all kinds of fish. I think if the stores were worried about one fish getting all the others sick they wouldn't have them all in the same water.

Some times you have to take a chance on something when what's going on right now isn't working. Not just keep doing the same thing
Old 07-07-2010, 02:24 PM   #18 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
This isn't really practical, unfortunately. I don't know if I'm understanding you correctly, but keep in mind that traditional dividers have spaces for the water to flow through, for filtration purposes. Many fish come into the fish store with diseases due to the conditions at the breeding facility and the stress of transport--unfortunately putting them all together would cause way too much cross contamination.

I've seen a similar system at a local petsmart--each fish was in a small square above the stock tanks, and though they were separated they were all in the same flow through system. These fish had some of the worst parasite infestations I had ever seen, along with horrific bacterial problems. They discontinued this system in Petsmarts because they lost huge amounts of stock.
im sorry. this comment might seem very rude but i have to state my opinion.

i hate your negative comments! i really do because every post i make is SOMETIMES reasonable. sometimes they arent and i will realize it. but thats not the point, my Point is everytime i ask something or think of something to say YOU just doubt me and think about the "(PRACTICAL)" WAY OF DOING THINGS!! now instead of trying to make my idea better and have input on the suggestion, you say and quote "(I DONT THINK THATS PRACTICAL)" .

i take it very offensive that you keep putting my idea down and say its not PRACTICAL. i understand that it could use some work but if you feel it does then say something to make it better! not something that will make everyone think "oh well just another stupid idea that'll never work".!

so if you have no way of trying to make it a little better then I DONT WANT YOUR INPUT AT ALL.

YES MY COMMENT TO YOU IS VERY RUDE BUT IM THINK YOU ARE VERY RUDE FOR TRYING TO PUT ME AND MY IDEA IN THE DUST!

its kind of hard to believe your (STORY)/experience with my idea in a pet-smart. ugh .

it doesnt have to be like that pet-mart store if the employees want to keep their jobs. ALL PEOPLE ARE NOT LIKE THAT !!!. they will take care of theses overstocked fish coming in. the could always treat them. but ALL bettas dont come in diseased or with an infection that could kill. actually its very rare that bettas are diseased (WHEN THEY GET IN THE PET STORE)!!

the bettas in the store usually are healthy when they come in and they develop sicknesses and diseases.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #19 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Slave View Post
Adastra does have a point. Most of the bettas at my pet store are all sick, and if you mixed them into one tank with a divider, the results would not be good.
YES he/she is right in a way but we could probably do something to work with that
Old 07-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #20 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBettas239 View Post
I wanted to let you guy's know there is a petsmart in my town that has a 55 gallon tank divided up into 1 gallon sections with bettas in each gallon. Now there is other petsmarts around me that ive been to and there in a cup. if we could get stores to keep them that way then things would be great.

The other thing i dont care that they are in a little bag for shipping. It would cost an arm and leg to ship in big tanks when its only a 2 dollar fish. There would be no money to be made. Plus when i go to the pet store and buy a clown loach or gold fish and i have him in a bag im not like omg he is in this little bag. because its just temporary just like when bettas are in a little bag for shipping there only in for a day or 2.

Now this is the part thats just about as bad as the betta in a cup and that is 2 or 3 days before the bettas get put in them bags to get shipped they stop getting any food so for 3 day before shipping no food then the whole time there at the pet store no food and the reason why is because they would poop a lot and foul up the little bit of water there in that right there would tell me they need a bigger tank not to be starved, ASnd if they feed them and it fouls up the water then they have to change it every day and everyone knows they dont want to change a little cup of water everyday right.

anyway i dint no if anyone seen a divided tank like that or knew about the starving thing so hope i could help and im glad people are thinking about this and wanting to do something about it i am really good friends with the manager at petsmart so he lets me change the water in the cups when i go in there and my bubby owns a pet store almost as big as petsmart and i have 5 bettas for sale at all time but they are in the bennie baby cases there clear and about 1/2 gallon that away the fish can swim a little bit and the buyers can see there fins opened up and moving plus the main reason is so the fish is happy lets keep this thread going and see what we can do with this.
you see this is what i want to do! i want to have it like this but i also think it could use work so, i needed advice to make this better