Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #1 
dubdukes

female bettas and cory's

I have one female betta and 2 cories, along with several fake plants. problem is, i noticed in the last few days that my cory's seemed to not be swimming around as much as they used to. finally found them tonight and pulled them from the tank as one was dead and the other was dying. Upon closer inspection of the cories, i found that the dead one had his (i dont know how to tell the gender on the cories sorry) caudal fin completely gone and the second cories was half gone. my only guess as to the reason for this is my female betta started fin-nipping them after a month of being in the same tank. No, there isnt anything sharp or that can catch the fins in my tank.

has anyone else experienced this problem? Recommendations? I was considering getting a few more to put back in there, but don't want to keep going through this every other month, if not more often.

please advise.....

tank specs: 10 gallon, filtered, heated, and all chemical levels within norms.
Plenty of fake plants and hiding places.
Fed every other day.
dubdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #2 
nacho

I'm sorry for your loss. I don't have firsthand experience with keeping cories and a betta together for as long as you had, but it's terrible that there was a death in your tank. I hope it was just an accident, but from my own male betta's behavior, I see how it is possible for it to rip a fin off of a cory. It's probably not on purpose, but the feeding frenzy just might make the betta nuts. Does your betta try to eat your cories' food?
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:18 PM   #3 
nacho

This is eery. One of my cats is missing one set of barbels. I have no idea how it happened, because they were there in the morning. Maybe my betta accidentally nipped at them while going for the food. Geez.
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #4 
dubdukes

no, she doesnt try for their food at all. and thats whats got me even more stumped. the only sign of agression was a month ago when i first added them and it was just her establishing dominance. after that she left them alone. LITERALLY. oh well. i also noticed that her mating tube has extended some, so i'm wondering if she was feeling threatened somehow? i have no intention of breeding her, know of any good ways to knock a fish out of heat? lol. i know how to do that with dogs and cats, just not fish lol. oh well. i've decided that i'm going to give her about a week or two of solitude and then do a major tank rearrange and add some new deco and either otos or cory's at that time. see what happens then.
dubdukes is offline   Reply With Quote