Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2010, 10:11 PM   #61 
wallywestisthebest333

you really don't need to cycle a 2 gallon because I believe that it's better to do twice weekly 50% water changes and once weekly 100% water changes in a 2 gallon. =] It's best to cycle 5 and up gallons though as their a pain in the butt to do a 100% change in.

(100% changes are where you completely empty out your tank, and rinse and scrub everything in hot tap water.)
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #62 
wallywestisthebest333

Do you have a job btw? if so then I really suggest the 5 gallon kit or 10 gallon kit (GET THE 10 GALLON!!! IT COSTS ALMOST THE SAME AND IS ABOUT THE SAME SIZE!!!!). you could keep your betta in a 2 gallon something or other while it cycles. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:18 PM   #63 
xswornxoffxjello

The sad thing is, when I had bettas for the first time, they WERE in a divided half-gallon. (And yet, they lived for 3 years.) Oh, the shame, the shame! Ugh. I feel really bad about that now.
The misconceptions people have about bettas is ridiculous. At my Petco, they have this gorgeous delta in a FILTHY half-gallon. I felt so bad for him once, I offered to buy him. They said no; apparently he was the "special" pet of one of the employees, who SHOULD have known better. And that poor guy was there as an "example on how to properly care for your betta". Grr.
xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:04 AM   #64 
Serox

Quote:
Originally Posted by xswornxoffxjello View Post
The sad thing is, when I had bettas for the first time, they WERE in a divided half-gallon. (And yet, they lived for 3 years.) Oh, the shame, the shame! Ugh. I feel really bad about that now.
The misconceptions people have about bettas is ridiculous. At my Petco, they have this gorgeous delta in a FILTHY half-gallon. I felt so bad for him once, I offered to buy him. They said no; apparently he was the "special" pet of one of the employees, who SHOULD have known better. And that poor guy was there as an "example on how to properly care for your betta". Grr.
So they can live divided in a 2 or 2.5 gallon, and what u did to maintain them alive for all those years?

@wallywestisthebest333
I dont got a job atm. Also im 21
And ty! for all the info. u have gave me :D
I think I wont buy one till I have atleast a 1.5 gallon or more tank
I really want 1 fishy so badly right now xD
Serox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:26 AM   #65 
Adastra

I'm glad you decided to wait--take this time to research the nitrogen cycle and learn more about bettas. It's also a good idea to look up reviews on some of the products you're thinking about getting before you buy them so that you can be sure you're not wasting your money. :)
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:50 AM   #66 
xswornxoffxjello

Uh, I don't recommend that. At all. My bettas lived, but looking back, they were miserable. The smallest my bettas have nowadays is a 5 gallon. (I do have a 3 gallon set up, but it has no occupants atm.)
xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #67 
Serox

Quote:
Originally Posted by xswornxoffxjello View Post
Uh, I don't recommend that. At all. My bettas lived, but looking back, they were miserable. The smallest my bettas have nowadays is a 5 gallon. (I do have a 3 gallon set up, but it has no occupants atm.)
I think most ppl do exagerate :<
It's ok to have 1 fish in a 2 gallon or more, if ur are taking care of him properly :)

I might buy a 2 or 2.5 gallon bc that the max I can get, I can't get a big one it occupies to much space and it's harder to clean, etc.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #68 
Lion Mom

That's the thing - a larger tank is NOT harder to clean. Actually, the larger the tank, the more stable it is & the easier it is to maintain.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #69 
Adastra

Lion is right--larger tanks can, to a point, basically take care of themselves because they can maintain beneficial bacteria that break down the ammonia the fish produces into nitrite which is broken down into nitrate--this nitrate is much much less poisonous than ammonia or nitrite, so once the bacteria is established all you have to worry about is removing the nitrates. This means you only have to do one 50%-30% water change a week depending on the size of the tank and whether it contains live plants. This is much, much easier than doing 100% changes multiple times a week.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #70 
Serox

But the thing is when u have to do 100% water changes, u have to clean the entire tank, u can't lift it to the sink, have to remove all the stuff inside right? or am I wrong? xD