Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #1 
frogipoi

Question Plants... Which?

Next month Aurora will get these things below:
A) heater
B) live plants
C) bigger tank
Any suggestions about these stuff?
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #2 
akjadestar

Heater: I really have no suggestions for a heater... All I can warn you about is the last heater I had (Tetra Whisper 2-15) was ridiculous it was automatically set to heat the water to 78 but couldn't even keep my 3 gallon at a steady 72. I definitely wouldn't recommend that heater. Now I have a Jager Adjustable heater for my new ten gallon, but I think I accidentally destroyed it (I thought I could totally submerse it, BRILLIANT) so now I'm letting it dry hoping it might work, since I never plugged it in it just might.... Though, even if it does work, it might not work too well with my set up, atleast an inch of it has to be out of water, only I need to have my water level very high for my make of filter. I might buy a Fluval heater when I get the money. It's fully submersible, and it's totally reflective so it blends with your tank.

Live Plants: I've heard some easy, basic plants are Anubias Nana, Java Fern, and Swords. Most people say Amazon swords, but I also like Ruffled swords, the edges of the plant leaves look all wavy and scalloped... Also Chain sword if you want some shorter plants. Water sprite is also supposed to be easy, and maybe you want a floating plant, like Najas Grass, only I hear it grows huge! and sometimes clutters the tank. And also java moss... I think it looks cool and it offers some nice hiding which makes the betta feel safe and secure!

Bigger Tank: Depends on how big your tank is now... But I'd say anywhere between 5-10 gallons is a GREAT size, and 3 gallons is comfortable but also the minimal size... Whatever size you go with, just don't get a very vertical tank, bettas are lateral swimmers, meaning side to side, so you'd be better off with a rectangular tank, it also gives more surface area, for the bettas to gulp air.

Good luck, hope this was helpful!
akjadestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:30 PM   #3 
frogipoi

Talking Thanks!

It was! THANKS!!! I am getting a 5-10 gallon tank any way. I am going to get those plants and I will check the heaters! THANKS!
Old 07-20-2010, 01:50 PM   #4 
Adastra

Yeah, you will definitely want to get an adjustable heater. I use 25watt hydor theos in my tanks under 10 gallons. If you're getting a 10, you should use a 50watt. Marineland heaters are also reliable.

Also, I find it very odd that you had a problem putting a heater meant for aquarium use under water. Aquarium heaters are suppose to be submerged at or above the water line. It's probably a defective heater.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #5 
frogipoi

Thanks everyone! It is a big help and I will tell a secret. I never tested the tank water! I am bad but Aurora is alive so I don't care. Gosh, I am evil!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 02:42 PM   #6 
FloridaBettas239

Tank: These are 2 i seen myself and thats the 10 gallon aquarium kit for 29.99. Came with.
10 gallon glass tank, 10-30 Filter, 10-30 heater, Fish net, Hood with lights.. All you need is gravle and plants, Plus your fish. lol
The 5 gallon came with all the same stuff but the price was 26.99 almost the same as the 10 gallon.

As for buying heater's I have had them all and the adjustable kind is better without a doubt.

Plant's i would have to say Java fern. Java moss, Anubias Real hardy plant's. Slow growing but you dont need co2 or high end light's.

I think if you got some of that your betta would be spoiled.... Good luck
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #7 
frogipoi

Check my thread Another betta because now I might get another betta!!!
Money: $34 so far. HELP!
Thanks!