Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #1 
Jdh

Would this setup work?

Hi all! I'm looking to set up a second Betta tank after my first one is running well, but I wanted to run my desired setup by you guys first and get some feedback.

I was hoping to buy this Betta:
http://bettafishstore.com/Halfmoon-P...ypage.tpl.html

Get a 5 gallon tank, and then put a few Blue Mickey Mouse Platys. Would this work? I would put plenty of hiding spots for the Betta in it as well. Would this be enough room for 3-4 fish? (I'm planning this tank for a bedroom, so I don't want the tank to be too large.)

Thanks for any help!

I was also wondering if anyone had ordered from Bettafishstore.com or knew if it was a good source? I also might be ordering the Blue MM Platys from aquariumfish.net.
Jdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #2 
Adastra

Unfortunately I don't really think this is a good idea. Platies like much different water conditions than bettas do. Bettas like acidic water with no salinity. Platies prefer harder water with higher salinity. Platies are also aemi-aggressive, and because bettas are a slow moving species, the betta could be harmed. Also, you picked a very vibrant color of platy--the male betta may confuse this for another betta and attack it. Keep in mind that some bettas never learn to tolerate tank mates and must be kept singly. Each fish is an individual, especially where aggressive fish are concerned.

If you're getting a 5 gallon tank, I suggest simply leaving the betta by himself. There's not really enough room for a small shoal of peaceful fish, and depending on your betta, he may not tolerate them anyway.

I do not recommend aquariumfish.net --- it has terrible reviews, with a history of DOA fish due to terrible packaging. They also mess up a lot of orders. I would not buy from them. http://www.liveaquaria.com is a great resource, I have heard nothing but good things and as usual, foster and smith's prices are great. I also suggest finding a local aquarium society as a source for fish.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #3 
SemioticSleep

Wouldn't buying from a Pet store be safer, sure they don't have the exotic colors you want. But the betta in the pic is usually not the betta that you get. Also do you really want your fish friend to travel in a baggy?
SemioticSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #4 
Adastra

Not necessarily. How do you think the fish got to the pet store? In bags on a truck, lol. If you order from a reputable distributor like LA, the fish don't have the time to languish in poor water conditions with disease-ridden tankmates. It's really the same thing as getting them from the pet store--but you still want a really good distributor because your fish are counting on the quality of the packaging.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #5 
SemioticSleep

I was just wondering since that place is all the way in Cali, how could they survive the trip to me in Texas??? Oh go to this link this is how some bettas are transported to pet stores.
http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Betta,%20Housing.htm
SemioticSleep is offline   Reply With Quote