Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #1 
ladikara

Pectoral Fins?

Is it possible for a betta to have fin rot on his/her pectoral fins? I have been fighting for a few weeks now fin rot on Bubbles. As soon as I think I have won the battle, it comes back as soon as I stop treating him. I just noticed today that Bubbles pectoral fins do not look good. One has a little hole in it while the other looks to be split down the center. Just curious if this is fin rot or it could be something else.

He is a 2.5 gallon tank. Perameters are good. Heated to about 78-80. I do water changes every other day while I do 50% changes in between. He's eating and is really good with his flare ups.

I've been adding about 1/2 tsp of salt each time I do the water change and have been treating him with Melafix each time.

Any ideas? Thanks!
ladikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #2 
bloo97

He may have just torn it. Do you have any plastic/pointy plants and/or accesories in there?
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #3 
ladikara

Nothing I have in there has sharp edges. Because of my troubles with fin rot all along, I took anything out that would possibly have sharp edges so he could heal. I am kind of wondering if it's my filter. I have one of those top filters that pours the water over. I wonder if the sucker part is what is ruining his fins. I bought a different kind of filter today, to see if maybe that fixes the issue. I am wondering if when he swims by the current filter, it's pulling on his fins.
ladikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #4 
MustardGas

I know with my boy, I had a regular HOB filter without any sort of adjustor. I guess from the current (which he didn't seem to mind at all, though it was quite strong) it had pulled and torn his fins, or he bit them from stress.

Try putting a baffle on the output, that should help. There's a sticky on the forums somewhere that I'll dig up!

Found it!
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...-baffle-30139/

Last edited by MustardGas; 07-07-2010 at 07:36 PM.
MustardGas is offline   Reply With Quote