Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #1 
LucyLoofa

Exclamation Filter Flow Problems

My aquatech 5-15 is WAY too powerful for Patriot. I had to turn the filter off when I got home at 4am this morning. He hadn't gotten to sleep because he couldn't hold still for even a moment without being pushed around the tank against his will.
I do have a baffle.
I even had a sponge inside the filter next to the bio filter pad to try and slow the flow.
Nothing worked.
So then I tried putting the sponge outside of the filter to just try to cut off the current directly from the fall (or whatever the spot is called.)
Here is a picture.

Is there anything at all I can do to try to slow the flow better than I am now?
Or is it that I'm doing the right thing, but failed to do it correctly?
I just emptied half the water out before school.
The water is still now and the fish got some needed rest while i went to school and work.
(Photo shoots plus school plus job=NOT fun. worse when topped with filter trouble.)
I just bought a Tetra whisper power filter from walmart hoping it would slow the flow but the thing is FLIPPING HUGE.
Way bigger than the aquatech filter!
And it says the flow rate is 85 gallons per hour.
Seriously?!?!
I'm not returning it tonight because the only road up to my apartment complex is currently being torn up, laid out from scratch, and re-paved.
No getting out until tomorrow. :p
But I will more than likely return it for a full refund.
I saw this choice http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3523858 online but I didn't see this filter at my local petsmart. I'm not a big fan of paying for shipping and such but there's no chance my petsmart will ship it in.
Please help me out here, I just want to give my fish a nice home.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #2 
MoePaac

Have you tried this style baffle? Maybe even this with a sponge on the interior of the plastic?

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....=filter+baffle
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #3 
LucyLoofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoePaac View Post
Have you tried this style baffle? Maybe even this with a sponge on the interior of the plastic?

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....=filter+baffle
But that's exactly what I have. :S
Is the picture I posted even visible?
Old 07-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #4 
LucyLoofa

Bah. Never mind. :p I went out and bought a new filter. A whisper internal 3i and I'm just going to do 2 75% changes a week and one gravel vacuuming instead of two 50% changes a week.
And No, the tank isn't cycled. And yes, I am getting plants.
I'm using the filter I have in the picture in my first post on my new 15 gallon tank which I will cycle. It's baffled and sponged and the water flow is still pretty harsh, but I think it will be fine given the extra space for fish to swim towards the bottom.
-Lucy
Old 07-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #5 
FloridaBettas239

What size tank do you have?
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:54 AM   #6 
LucyLoofa

The aquatech 5-15 in the pictures was in Patriot's 5 gallon tank.
Never ran out for a power filter, it just came with the tank.
How harsh do you think the flow will be in the new 15 gallon I'm putting it in?
Old 07-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #7 
FloridaBettas239

It will be so much better off in that 15 gallon and some time's when i do a water change on my 10 gallon which has a aquatech 20-40 if i dont fill the water to the right level like up to the bottom of the filter then it will be to strong for the tank not saying this is the problem but you could play around with the water level and see if anything changes.

Also hydro sponge filters has a sponge filter kit that goes on the end of your inlet tube on the filter. so then you get a extra step of filtering and it slow's the water flow coming into the filte.r instead of trying to slow it down coming out, i have a sponge filter on that aqua tech 20 - 40 and when it need's cleaned you can tell the filter isnt as strong soon as you clean it then its good to go and the reason i like the sponge filter on the end of the inlet tube it catches everything before it gets to your replacment cartridge so you dont have to replace it as often and its like adding another filter to your tank but all you did was put a sponge on your inlet tube.
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote