Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #1 
FuulieQ

Popeye not improving - what to do?

My rehab fish with popeye isn't improving on maracyn. :c

I don't know what to do! I've been using the maracyn on him for four or five days now, and it's only gotten worse. It's not that the eye itself is displaced, but it looks like he has a white "eyebrow" that's coming out of the socket - an inflamed membrane or something? He seemed to be doing better on melafix, so I added a bit of that today with the maracyn in hopes that he would start to improve... Just changed his water yesterday 80%, water temp is 78-80 degrees...

What more can I do for him? I didn't want to shock him so I haven't put in any salt... maybe that's the next route? I don't want him to die... :c
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would complete one treatment before moving on to the next so to avoid creation of resistant pathogen

Once treatments are completed and you want to try salt, I would be careful using aquarium salt, sometimes it can make popeye worse, I would use Epsom salt 1tsp/gal instead along with daily 100% water changes for 10 days.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #3 
Sizzlingtree

Talking Melafix Worked

What worked for my betta, Tika were regular water changes (10% every day), aquarium salt and Melafix. It took 7 days before the symptoms completely disappeared. I don't know if any one or all three of the above contributed to his getting better, but he did get better.
Sizzlingtree is offline   Reply With Quote